Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: New Iron Maiden cover...

praxis22 opened this issue on Aug 11, 2003 ยท 63 posts

praxis22 posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 1:45 PM

Attached Link: http://www.ironmaiden.com/?section=1&subsection=0

Apparently this isn't a joke... later jb

LaurieA posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 1:59 PM

Hmmmm...if they are gonna use Poser to do their cover (which I think is great, BTW...), why don't they get someone with more talent like Ecstasy or Will Kramer?...LOL. For whoever may have done this cover and if they are a member here, sorry for the critique, but I think it looks rather cartoony. Definitely needs postwork ;o). Laurie

LaurieA posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 2:02 PM

The more I look at it, the more I hate it. The composition leaves a lot to be desired and the poses are even worse... I can't believe they are using it... Laurie

JVRenderer posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 2:05 PM

Maybe the cover artist is a "poser purist"...... duck for cover... JV :D

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

LaurieA posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 2:14 PM

Poser purist is one thing, but it's cover art for crying out loud! ;o) Laurie

stewer posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 2:15 PM

ROFL Is that using the default lights? They could at least turn on shadows...

MachineClaw posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 2:19 PM

Is that a final? looks like it would be a great start to throw into Painter and really play. If it's a final it does leave a lot to be desired. looks like a WIP.

maclean posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 2:34 PM

Iron Maiden are still playing? I thought they were old-age pensioners. I've heard of 'Dad rock' but never 'Grandad rock'. LOL. mac

praxis22 posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 2:48 PM

You're not a Stones fan then :)

praxis22 posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 2:51 PM

I was sent that by a mate, who's a maiden fan and he wanted to know if they were the stock poser figures... Apparently the fan base is in uproar, but the band are allegedly 100% behind the "artist" The masks are allegedly real though. later jb

hoppersan2000 posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 3:13 PM

Just goes to show how little talent is required now adays to make money. Wish someone would drop an easy gig like that in my lap. Just think of the exposer.

Ihawk posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 3:25 PM

This is the fianl image for the cover. They used to have a very talented oil-paint artist (can't remember his name)do their covers and artwork. In high school, I used to draw Maiden on my bookcovers. I laughed when I saw this a week ago on their website. They have the same cheesy stuff on the tour shirts and booklets, too. I used to be a big fan of them in the "old days," after this it's just pathetic.

Ghostofmacbeth posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 3:27 PM

Ewwww

Marque posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 3:29 PM

It's pretty pathetic, the shoulders on the one model on his head are popping out of the sockets. What a pity, but guess it's in the eye of the beholder, and the wallet of the beholder...lol Marque

JoeyAristophanes posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 3:38 PM

But y'know, if someone posted this in the gallery with no indication as to what it was for, chances are real good the comments would be along the lines of "Wow!"

Marque posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 4:11 PM

Not from me...lol One guy looks like his wrist is broken. It looks like the person who put it together did it in about 20 min. Hoping it's a wip. Marque

Marque posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 4:11 PM

I'm thinking it must be a joke. Marque

JVRenderer posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 4:22 PM

For poser newbies, that pic's got just enuf to "START ME UP!..." but for some seasoned veterans here, they just "CAN'T GET NO SATISFACTION"... :D JV.

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

rhiafaery posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 4:57 PM

Ugh....I am a Poser noob, and even I am cringing at that. The ONLY part that even looks halfway decent are the two in the middle...but their mediocre presence doesn't even begin to help the scene any. Can someone drop a job like that in MY lap...please? hehehehe

lynnJonathan posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 5:34 PM

And I used to have so much respect for there older album covers! I think the artist forgot to use textures, or at least good ones.

Puntomaus posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 5:34 PM

Maybe they made it all by themselves and are pretty proud about it... But it really looks ... umpffff ... weird. Look at the arm of Posette in the front, that must hurt, not to forget her neck.

Every organisation rests upon a mountain of secrets ~ Julian Assange

nikitacreed posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 5:35 PM

Oh geez....that was....interesting....I guess. :o

KarenJ posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 5:53 PM

I'm gutted, it doesn't fit the true Maiden style at all. Still, it won't stop me going to see them at the Arena this December ;-)

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

mstrong posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 6:32 PM

Looks like Shamms Mortiers stuff.

Riddokun posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 7:30 PM

well at least it is one good new: one of my favorit band will release a new thing (I hope it is an album and not a cheesy live) bad news is that the really go lower and lwoer in the graphic tastes but, honnestly speaking, i dont care.. it is music (or so some call it like that, me among us), but usually i 'listen' to music, not buying an audio cd just to vomit watching a cover :) (else i know of another few awful cover arts !:)

Riddokun posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 7:33 PM

Hmmm..aaaaaaargh ! I replied while it was slowly loading on my 56k.. urk, it is REALLY awful (central Eddy claded in Death suit character seems to be drawn btw) it may be the WORST poser image i ever saw, both in compositing and such... i can humbly say even I, as a beginner since may2003 is able to do better :) please you should relabel this forum topic with the flag "violence" cause it is a real violence to the eyes :)

atom1972 posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 8:15 PM

I hope I am not offending another rosity member by saying this, but, if this album cover were in the gallery here I would give it a Hmmmmmm. It definitely needs some fixing. Default lighting, plastic looking people, and all the joints are "broken". Sheesh! And to think of all the talented ppl here that could produce so much better than that. I hope they didn't pay for it.

xvcoffee posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 8:59 PM

Don't look now, but there's a new art-critic somewhere in the forum. He'll have something to say about this.

Patricia posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 10:24 PM

Jeepers.....couldn't they have at least sprung for Vicki and Mike?

LaurieA posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 11:14 PM

That was my exact first thought Patricia...ROFLMAO!! Even a textureless mike and vicky would be worlds better than the joint-impaired stock Poser figures ;o). Laurie

hauksdottir posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 11:44 PM

Under Prop 13 constraints, art and music programs were eliminated from schools here in California. Many other states eliminated them as not necessary... all those "back to basics!" preachers who think that children need only to learn arithmetic and grammer in order to be educated got their wish as the arts and sciences were cut from school budgets. 30 years later, we have an entire generation of adults who can't SEE, have no trained sense of design (or color, composition, perspective), and who are now responsible for patterns on fabric, magazine layouts, paper towels, and CD covers. The saddest thing of all to me is that an "artist" turned this work in, unable to see the numerous flaws, and that an "art director" accepted it as good enough to put before the customers. I wouldn't accept this as a design for toilet paper. Carolly

LaurieA posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 11:51 PM

Carolly, it's funny you should bring this up. My hubby flunked art in 8th grade (yeah, difficult, I know...LOL). When the teacher asked him why he didn't put forth any effort he said that art wasn't important. Since having loved and living with an artist (I've been painting, drawing and doodling since I was a wee one and come from a line of artists), he now realizes that even if he couldn't do good art, art and art practice breeds creativity. And not in just artistic venues, but in all areas of life. Art contributes to creative THINKING. He wishes now that he had paid more attention ;o). And you're right...it would make some really fugly toilet paper...LOL. But at least it would be going to the right place. Laurie

JVRenderer posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 12:23 AM

Bahahahaha Laurie...

stewer posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 1:35 AM

See, that's what you get for pirating music over the internet! Poor starving musicians can't even afford the upgrade to Poser 5 ;-)

Magik1 posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 3:28 AM

This Doesn't look like Derick Riggs work to me! You lot at sanctuary tried using annother artist before, remember? On "fear of the dark" That one wasn't Popular either.Come on 'Arry, you know what's good and what isn't! Roy Summers UK "Up the Irons"

kromekat posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 5:00 AM

I am sorry, but I think this is a disgrace! - I am no fan of Iron Maiden, but their album art was always very strong - this is ok as a concept, but where is the finished one?? - all I can say is, someone looks like they got a lucky break, and in my opinion, they squandered it. :/ But then again, maybe we are looking at it wrong - maybe we see it as dreadfully executed Poser work, when in fact the brief was maybe to produce grotesque, manequin like figures anyway!? ToxicAngel should be doing IM covers! :) - push yourself forward Janne!

Adam Benton | www.kromekat.com

Riddokun posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 5:58 AM

i agree, the base idea and design is good anyway, it is just that technically it really looks like it was composited and rendered by a beginner if not worse. but a cover with sme idea/design but better done would be oki. But i think on their site this is the final version not a work in progress...

sabretalon posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 6:27 AM

Take a look through some of the fansites, there are other variations found there. I can not believe they are going to use that image. Look at their archives to see their previous albums (if you have not seen them before) it looks like a tutorial on how not to use poser! Sorry if the "artist" is a member here and reads this, (well probably not too sorry) If it is genuine and not some publicity stunt to get a reaction etc.. I think they made a mistake by choosing the wrong artist for the job. Their album covers are an ideal brief for creating in poser with postwork etc.. and this one does not do IM or poser any justice. For the artist whom created it, come on at least be a little bit artistic with your work.

elizabyte posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 8:23 AM

Uhm, maybe they wanted plasticky, badly posed, poorly lit figures for some reason? (Sorry, that's all I can think of). Thankfully, I'm not an Iron Maiden fan, so I won't have to put this in my house... bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

seeklight posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 9:15 AM

Heres an idea.... Why dont you all try to make the same image and see what all of you come up with,it would be interesting to say the least ; ) Then you should sedn em all to iron maiden and tell them they were done big time lol,they might as well av add there legs broken thanks seeklight

Riddokun posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 9:43 AM

hmm wi will lack a few elements that may difficult to reproduce first, let say the masks :( anyway i remember the last two album artworks (virtual eleventh and brave new world) and they were so great... as a fan of this band (yes i know i am dumb), i am a bit sad to put this into my collection :('

sabretalon posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 10:03 AM

I wonder how bad that image would be if they did not use the masks as well? I think I made enough comments before, all I can say is I hope my work is not seen like that!

ming posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 10:20 AM

Maybe they liked it and that's why they used it!
I rate this with four guys crossing the street.

Turtle posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 10:35 AM

Thats Phils death man, I'm sure the rest looks like regural Poser4 people, no vicks-mikes-etc.

Love is Grandchildren.

fretshredder posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 10:41 AM

What the hell!!?? ... that hurt my brain. Very sad day indeed Keep rockin' (if you can) /gz

FishNose posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 10:57 AM

Oh, I'd say it's on a par with all Iron's previous covers - the pinnacle of bad taste badly executed. So I'm not surprised at all. But just as disappointed as ever. :] Fish

volfin posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 3:41 PM

Yeah, really terrible. We should have a contest to make a better album cover.

Khai-J-Bach posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 3:58 PM

being an Maiden fan... I'm shocked! bring back Riggsy! this is crap compared to the greats like 'Somewhere in Time', 'Powerslave' (how many in jokes can you find in the hiroglyphics? ;)) and my all time fav, 'Wasted Years' (single). this is beyond a joke 'Arry! you've maimed Eddie in this one! he'll need therapy! (run Maggie run!)* Kai *injoke concerning the use of Maggie Thatcher in Maiden single covers...

Mesh_Magick posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 3:59 PM

they are tired, but the image on the album is nice. Now creed is cool and theyhave a poser image on thier new alblum too.

Mesh_Magick posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 4:00 PM

IRON MAIDON IS TOO CHEAP TO BUY POSER 4 OR 5, THATS POSER 3 IF i EVER SAW IT.

Ihawk posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 5:05 PM

I posted a comment on IM's forum: http://www.ironmaiden.org/bb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26013 The other fans will probably hate me.

Desdemmonna posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 5:18 PM

This has gotta someone's idea of a sick, sad joke...it really has to be...the quality of this image is beyond beginner, this looks like they just installed the program, loaded a bunch of the stock figures, rendered and then half-assed photoshoped it. If this is the new cover, oh gods...someone give them the URL for this site, I'm sure someone here would be more than happy to show then what Poser is actually capable of doing, lol!

Ihawk posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 5:26 PM

After reading a few thread on their forum, the subject of the cover had been beaten to DEATH and then some. What in the hell were they thinking? I wish it was a joke... http://www.derekriggs.com/ Now this guy has talent.

_dodger posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 7:26 PM

shakes head I'm going to have to make a posable Eddie figure, aren't I?

LaurieA posted Tue, 12 August 2003 at 11:25 PM

They're even selling t-shirts with that, uh, stuff on it! To the band: please oh please oh please let me have a shot at it! I can do just a bad if I really, really try! ;o). I just don't understand why I'm unemployed... Laurie

volfin posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 8:44 AM

Attached Link: http://www.ironmaiden.org/bb/showthread.php?s=07a39d23aa6c51103a772c0723331533&threadid=26063

lol, a fan at the iron maiden site did his own retouch of the cover. I think he figured out what part didn't work in the image.

jonfe posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 10:40 AM

There is a distinct possibility that this is actually a joke (a bad one, maybe, but a joke nevertheless :). Yes, I saw that they are pre-selling T-shirts featuring that dreaded wolf and baby --yet, no one seems to have actually received one-- and the tour-bus picture... but common sense suggests that no one is stupid enough to mix the excellent hand-drawn image of Eddie and the hooded figures in the background with those poor poser renders. I would, also, like to point out that none of the online stores that pre-sell the album actually displays a cover image (at least not the ones I checked). Jon *** who actually bought his very first heavy metal album due to an Iron Maiden cover almost twenty years ago and remains hooked ever since ***

TrekkieGrrrl posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 12:21 PM

_dodger, there IS a Eddie Character somewhere out there. I have it. It's not great but it's Eddie :o) Of course you could make an awesome Eddie, I am sure of that :o) And this cover.. BLECH It is so hideous. Not at all like the usual Super Cool Maiden covers. I would almst refrain from buying this album coz of ths sorry cover... If the COVER is made in a hurry, is the music equally bad then? (Oh and I usually LIKE Iron Maiden)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

ChromeTiger posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 4:32 PM

Been a Maiden fan for many years (Stones too), and this is by far the absolute WORST cover I have ever seen. Whoever got paid for this is laughing all the way to the bank. It's sad that with the WEALTH of talented 3D artists on Renderosity alone,that this is the best they could come up with. 15 minutes worth of actual research and they could have come up with better...ToxicAngel, LaurieA, Daio, even myself...I could go on and on with the talent pool they could have drawn from...and I'm sure any one of us could have matched or beaten what the hack that made that mess got paid. CT

_dodger posted Thu, 14 August 2003 at 6:33 AM

Look at it another way... This will be the first time someone can point at someone wearing an Iron Maiden T-Shirt and shout 'Poser!' in exactly the same way you can do this to someone wearing a Bon Jovi or Poison T-Shirt B^)

ChromeTiger posted Thu, 14 August 2003 at 5:49 PM

ROFL...leave it to you to find the silver lining, Dodger....

bloodsong posted Fri, 15 August 2003 at 5:41 AM

heyas; okay, i figured it out. there was this disgruntled 3dmax/maya user. iron maiden went to him (or her) and said, 'this is our cover concept, can you do all that in 3d?' and the max guy said 'oh sure, i can do that. now i'll have to hand-model all those figures by myself, that'll take a couple weeks each and be 5,000$ per figure.' and the iron maiden reps said, 'er, i DONT think so! we don't have THAT kind of time or money.' so the disgruntled max guy disguised himself as a poser user and re-applied for the job saying, 'oh, yes, i can have this done in one week for 500$.' he's disgruntled, you see, because he spent (how much is max again? like five figures? or maya's price tag!) on his program, and if he wants a human figure in it, he's got to build the entire thing himself. and then try to recoup the cost of his max program program. and meanwhile, some other people got poser for less than 500$, and are able to whip out a human figure, well, out of the box. so, in a fit of poser-discreditation, the disgruntled max guy got that free poser 3 cd somewhere, put together this piece of nonsense, and turned it over, in an effort to discredit that 'totally non-professional' poser application.

Khai-J-Bach posted Thu, 04 September 2003 at 4:07 PM

the cover is not a joke... tho the album's already got rave reviews on Amazon.. canna wait to get my copy... tho .. I'll redo the cover lol!