Forum: Carrara

Subject: My current opinions on C3.

Kixum opened this issue on Aug 14, 2003 ยท 5 posts

Kixum posted Thu, 14 August 2003 at 8:21 PM

Overall, IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! 1.) The new soft shadow option is so dang cool that I'm literally losing sleep over it! Images which were (in my opinion) impossible before are now finally being realized. 2.) The plant engine thingamawhaptcha is really nice. It's still way over my head whenever I attempt to fuss with the settings but I still LOVE IT (I'm a guy, more buttons more happy!)! 3.) The new interface is really great. Normally I'm one of those sticks in the mud when it comes to changing interfaces but these changes are well designed and are along the lines of what I needed. Compacting a lot of the inputs has made the work space a lot nicer than I would have guessed practical. Well done! 4.) The new settings for using GI are nicer and I seem to be able to get better results faster than before. I could get nice results in C2 but I seem to be able to zero in on the target quicker now. 5.) Now I'm going to step on thin ground here but,...... for some reason, boolean operations appear to be more stable and cleaner. Please be aware that I still feel boolean operations should be considered taboo but I can cut stuff up in C3 that would crash in C2. Weird but cool. I've also finally developed "Kixums Rules for Boolean Operations" which really do help a lot. Hard to tell if this is part of it. 6.) HDRI, awesome, not much more to say there. 7.) DOF improved. Again, way cool! Bottom line, I think the improvements (while some could be considered trivial) could crank Carrara onto the map as a heavy hitting code rather than considered a medium code. You couldn't make Star Wars on it but you could make the poster! It just happens that all of the improvements in this version happened to be on my "poop" list and they fixed ALL of em! How could I be so dang lucky! I'm glad to see the changes Eovia is making. These guys are climbing the ladder! -Kix

-Kix