Forum: Photoshop

Subject: Would like someones basic opinion please?

DreamersWish opened this issue on Aug 19, 2003 ยท 8 posts

DreamersWish posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 5:12 PM

This is the first time I have tried to color a picture I have drawn with PhotoShop 5 LE. I was just wondering what other artist might think and if they have any suggestions since I have limited knowledge of Photoshop. This is by no means near finished. I would just like ways to make her look more real (maybe a little 3D). Thank you. Newpy

SeanE posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 12:00 AM

buy the december edition of the renderosity magazine and read my tutorial on how to colour stuff?? basically you need layers (lotsa layesr - one for each shade) and build up the dark and light areas... read the tutorial section over at polykarbon.com and have a look at lazerus' gallery here on rendo for his 'wiggle' pic tut - it's 2 big pics/screenshots of how he does things.

bonestructure posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 9:39 AM

I would also suggest the use of the dodge/burn too to create shadows and highlights once your piece is painted.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

bonestructure posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 9:40 AM

dodge/burn tool even

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

yolkworm posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 6:02 PM

Attached Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0874774241/qid=1061851745/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-5658310-3816

Drawing is and has been my best psychotherapy. I've spent countless happy hours with pencil and paper. I highly recommend it. Of course, PS and a graphics tablet is even better -- saves trees and undos are easier than erasing ;-) If you'd like your drawings to look more real, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" is the best book on drawing ever (see link). But you gotta do the exercises! - Bill

DreamersWish posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 12:28 PM

I would like to thank everyone for the comments and recommendations. I will consider them as I continue my drawings. Thank you again.

Philywebrider posted Wed, 27 August 2003 at 5:17 PM

On the Dodge & Burn tools...I would reduce the opacity, so when you darken or lighten, the gradiation is light, and you can build up the tones slowly. Good start on your picture.

DigitalOasis posted Thu, 04 September 2003 at 11:35 AM

I am not sure what type of pic you are looking for but if it is the realistic look i would suggest getting rid of the outline and use your shades to define the form of your pic.