Forum: Vue

Subject: Help with two figures in pz3

martindj opened this issue on Aug 25, 2003 ยท 5 posts

martindj posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 3:27 PM

I have imported into Vue4.2 a pz3 file with two Michael figures with different textures. They both receive the same texture in Vue. I have unchecked the option to group the figures as a single mesh (so I can see two heads, etc) but each head is given the same texture. If I have to apply the second texture manually, this will make animation very tedious. Is there a way around this?

smallspace posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 6:51 PM

This is more likely a Poser problem than a Vue, as Poser is know for what are called, "cross talk" issues between multiple copies of the same character. I'd suggest saving each Michael in a different PZ3 file, them importing each one with the "single mesh" turned on. This should give you two very clean and very different Michaels. SMT

I'd rather stay in my lane than lay in my stain!

martindj posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 12:08 AM

I'm using Poser5 so there is no Poser crosstalk; but Vue is obviously confused by two models with the same group names and material names. I don't want to do 2 imports as I think I would have to reposition and resize one figure in relation to the other. I think I will write a separate "preprocessor" for the pz3 which will change the names for the second figure. I also notice that Vue4.2 doesn't seem to implement Poser5's multiple runtimes. This is ok for textures since P5 dumps the full path, but is a pain for obj's as P5 only writes out the shortened path e.g. :runtime:dir:thing.obj P.S. I am not criticising Vue - it's a great product.

smallspace posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 1:46 AM

If P5 doesn't include the full pathway for the OBJ in the PZ3 file, then how does it know WHICH runtime the file came from? Still, 4.2's a beta, so you could have found a bug. Saving the file as two PZ3's is easy. Simply go to the "Body" properties tab, and turn off visibility for the whole body then save the file under the first name. Then turn the visibility back on for the first figure and off for the second and save it under a second name. Vue 4.2 doesn't load invisible geometry, so you'll just get one figure in each file. If, "Resize and center imported objects" is turned off in the Vue Options window, then each file should import correctly in relationship to the other. -SMT

I'd rather stay in my lane than lay in my stain!

martindj posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 5:12 AM

Thanks for your encouragement and suggestions. Regards, David.