Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is there a solution to this? (see attached images)

kuroyume0161 opened this issue on Sep 14, 2003 ยท 9 posts

kuroyume0161 posted Sun, 14 September 2003 at 1:08 PM

Why is it that in Poser perfectly flat surfaces with certain arrangements of triangles end up looking bumpy or separate from the rest of the surface? In the first image, the "foot" is planar to the rest of the side and uses the same image map, but there is a discontinuity in the lighting. In the second image (second post), the lock plate looks like it has been fluted, but it is planar. These are easily corrected in other 3D programs by adjusting the Phong shading angle, but Poser has none. Is there some means to fix this in Poser (for Poser)? Thanks!

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

kuroyume0161 posted Sun, 14 September 2003 at 1:09 PM

Second image...

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Lawndart posted Sun, 14 September 2003 at 1:44 PM

Use a very small bevel between the top and side (thickness) when creating the object in the 2nd example. This will fix smoothing. Poser has no smoothing groups so it is trying to smooth the object between a 90% angle. That is what gives you these funky shadowed areas. This is assuming a lot of things since you don't give that much info. I don't know what is up with the first example. I hope this helps, Joe www.3-AXIS.com

kuroyume0161 posted Sun, 14 September 2003 at 1:57 PM

Ah, but there is a "small bevel between the top and side" of the lock plate. Here's verification.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

kuroyume0161 posted Sun, 14 September 2003 at 2:08 PM

Also, smoothing is turned off for all of the parts. There is no need for smoothing on non-organic surfaces like these (and it also avoids the infamous P5 "bubble" renders). I've tried importing the OBJ file with and without welding, with and without normals. Seems to me, by the thousand renders done of this model in Poser for testing, that Poser lighting works polygon-by-polygon instead of taking an entire surface (polygon-polygon angular relationship) into account. Smoothing does this for organics, but not in this case. Help, please!

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

TrekkieGrrrl posted Sun, 14 September 2003 at 3:13 PM

Try splitting vertices in UVMapper. Usually when my props look like that a "split vertices" helps it. No matter if I have beveled it or not :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

kuroyume0161 posted Sun, 14 September 2003 at 3:25 PM

Thanks, ernyoka1. I will give that a try and reply on the results - please be good! ;)

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

kuroyume0161 posted Sun, 14 September 2003 at 4:08 PM

ernyoka1, are you a man or woman? Because I'm gonna marry ya! ;0) That fixed about four or five linguering problems - especially in rendering! Leave it to UVMapper to solve all of the world's problems. Thank you very much!

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

TrekkieGrrrl posted Sun, 14 September 2003 at 5:00 PM

Hehe I'm a woman, and I am not sure bigamy is allowed? ;o) Just glad it worked. It usually does the trick but it DOES make the files a little larger :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.