Forum: Vue

Subject: Terragen vs Vue vs Bryce / PC vs Mac

entica opened this issue on Sep 26, 2003 ยท 11 posts

entica posted Fri, 26 September 2003 at 10:55 AM

Hi everyone. I'm new here so I figured I'd fire off a couple general questions to get people's input. I'm generally new to the 3D world and up until now my experience has been fairly limited to Bryce on the Mac. I have recently had the opportunity to test drive a friend's copy of Vue 4 (non pro) and am amazed with the results over Bryce. I have also just downloaded Terragen and will begin experimenting with it this weekend. Question 1: Comments on quality/ease of use between Terragen/Vue/Bryce. My personal preference right now is Vue but I'm interested in hearing what other people have to say. I've seen some amazing stuff in all 3 apps. I realize Bryce isn't actively developed anymore and Terragen is free - so those arguments aside :) Currently I have a dual G4/450 that seems to run fine with Vue 4. It's a little on the sluggish side and there's a few bugs/crashes but it's tolerable. However, after reading a few posts about the high system reqs for Vue Pro and the instability of it, I'm concerned my little G4/450 dp won't cut it. I just happen to be in the market for a new box anyway so here's my next question: Question 2: Mac or PC? I'm completely open to moving away from the Mac and going PC with windows XP. It'll save me about 2 grand and Vue may be more stable? Any comments on this? Is the PC version of Vue flakey too? I've heard about problems with ATI cards and OpenGL? What about 3rd party models/materials/plugins/etc. compatibility? I know the Mac version of Vue 4 can't open some PC Vue items. Please - leave the typical Mac vs PC arguments out of this. This is strictly as if the decision would be based on what is best for 3D apps and nothing else. Anything else people want to comment on would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone for your feedback! I look forward to becoming a part of this community. Hopefully I will have some good pics to put in my gallery before long! E.