Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser5 freezes with SR3

Himico opened this issue on Oct 06, 2003 ยท 12 posts

Himico posted Mon, 06 October 2003 at 9:43 AM

After having installed SR3, FireFly render of poser5 freezes with one Victoria (still image). It is worse. FireFly render was working for one Victoria before. It froze with two Victoria.Therefore, I installed SR3, hoping the improvements.

P4 render of Poser5 works fine for both cases. P4 render works even for AVI animation of uncompressed 400 M files.

WindowsXP, 2G speed, ~ 1G RAM, and sufficient HD space.

Did anyone have this problem?
Any suggestion please?

Thank you

stewer posted Mon, 06 October 2003 at 9:55 AM

It's a freeze, i.e. you have to kill Poser via the Task Manager? Or does it abort rendering? When does it freeze? Immediately, during rendering the shadows, or in the middle of rendering the image? What render settings are you using?

shogakusha posted Mon, 06 October 2003 at 10:15 AM

I am running on a P4 2.8GHz, WinXP Pro, 512 MB RAM. I have Poser 5 sr3 and have no problems. I did have an abyssmally slow render when I added in a dynamic hair prop, but otherwise very quick renders in P5 and P4 render engines.

Himico posted Mon, 06 October 2003 at 10:24 AM

It is a freeze. I tried it 3 times for the same scene after having installed SR3, including one overnight render. I have to kill it. It is not easy to kill using Task Manager. Poser5 does not respond. I had to kill it by shutting down the computer. It freezes in the middle of rendering the image

FireFly settings are:
Production
Use displacement map
Ray tracing on
Cast shadow
Smooth polygon
Render to new window 25x20 inches
Other default settings.

One Victoria with high reso texture, and one motor cycle.

Thank you
Himico

stewer posted Mon, 06 October 2003 at 11:53 AM

If it's not killable with the task manager, there might be something wrong with your system in general - XP should be able to kill any user process from the task manager, no matter what. Did you try other render settings? For example, a smaller window, a smaller bucket size or disabling ray tracing?

sandoppe posted Mon, 06 October 2003 at 1:13 PM

Stewer's right. Task manager in XP Pro may take awhile to "kill" P5, but I think it's because there's a lot of stuff to shut down in Poser5. So far (knock on wood), I've not had any corruption problems after shutting down with the XP Task Manager. I don't have SR3. I read some of the problems that others were having installing it, etc. and never did install it. I do have the earlier SR's. I find that I have to "kill" less and less (probably because I've gotten familiar with what P5 will tolerate and what it won't). Generally when I do have to hit the "kill switch", it's a texture related problem.

ronstuff posted Mon, 06 October 2003 at 1:58 PM

I have very few freezes since SR3, but have noticed that some types of complex geometry such as several of Neftis's hair products can cause Firefly to freeze but render fine in P4 mode. If you figure has hair, try deleting that (removing the hair from the scene) and then try to render.

sandoppe posted Mon, 06 October 2003 at 2:07 PM

Neftis hair has a reported problem by Neftis with firefly. I think that can be solved by rendering it with the P4 renderer. Some have indicated that reducing the size of texture file for that hair gets past the firefly problem. I simply use the P4 renderer for Neftis hair and it works great :)

fritzeflink posted Mon, 06 October 2003 at 3:00 PM

Hy i have bib problems 2 the poser file is 230 MB (yes somme more poserpeoples an a car) The PC: 2,4 GH AMD 1 GB RAM any time (any renderjob)poser freeze thats f_ck - sorry! :( greetings frome Friedhelm

herr67 posted Mon, 06 October 2003 at 4:41 PM

Their is a setting under 'Render Options' (I forget the name) for draft the default is 2.0 for production the default is .5. Set that number to 2.0 and try again. I thing the name is 'min. shading'???

Himico posted Mon, 06 October 2003 at 9:44 PM

Thank you very much for your responses.

I tried some renderings.
FireFly worked for a small picture 12.5x10 inches without ray tracing, and one victoria.
However, when I tried the small picture 12.5x10 inches with ray tracing, and two victoria, FireFly froze when rendering shadow map.

I used Grace Lion Hair by Quaker, not heavy P5 hair.

FireFly does work for a small file.
The fact is that FireFly render is worse with SR3 for my situation.
P4 rendering is working fine.
I may have to remove SR3 ???

Thanks again,
HimiCo.

gkruts posted Sat, 25 October 2003 at 1:43 PM

Suggestion: load and minimize task manager, so you get the CPU graph in the system tray. I will bet that your system is pegged at 100% CPU when running the larger (not size, more object intense) render. It's helped me get over a lot of the Poser "freezes", doesn't make it faster, but at least I know it is doing something. I always have it running when rendering, calculating dynamics, adding INJ and Morphs. And Poser is not consistant with handling interrupts while doing intensive processes. Some actions register a cancel immediately, just take a while to quit (rendering scene AFTER loading textures and making shadow maps), or never even notice (while loading textures or calculating dynamics). It is faster to flip the big red switch on the back of the building than to try to stop Poser while calculating frame draping of 8000 count hair! =P The bane of Poser 5? Dynamic hair, OMG it sucks to render! Even worse, try doing it WITH a shadow map, with multiple lights! AAAAAGHHHHHH!!!!! I've also had a lot of failed renders (Firefly just stops, drops back to Poser with partially rendered image) with Dynamic Hair. (Sorry, got off topic there)