Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 4.0.3 Serial Number Checking

kupa opened this issue on Aug 01, 2000 ยท 63 posts

kupa posted Tue, 01 August 2000 at 12:56 PM

Attached Link: http://www.curiouslabs.com

I would like to personally apologize for any concerns that have arisen as a result of the Poser 4.0.3 updater and as well would like to address some issues related to the updater and it's serial number checking process. Contrary to posts that have been placed on the various Poser forums, we are not attempting to "skim email addresses" or place a Trojan Horse in any Poser user's system. In the 4.0.3 updater, we have implemented a serial number checking routine that searches across a local area network only, to inquire if duplicate serial numbers are being used in that network. If it detects a duplicate serial number, Poser will prompt the user to save and will exit the application. The intent of this process is to control the illegal use of multiple copies of the same serial number at the same time. It is not illegal for you to install multiple copies of Poser on multiple machines, but to run them at the same time is. We are a very small group dedicated to keeping Poser alive and we need to protect Poser from rampant illegal duplication. We were in error for not clearly stating that the 4.0.3 updater incorporated the serial number checking routine. For that I am truly sorry. We are trying to juggle a great number of things and in the process of doing so; I personally overlooked the creation of informative copy for the download area of our web site. When we were testing the updater prior to its' public release, we were not running firewall software on any of our local area network test machines. As a result we did not foresee that the various firewall applications would create a warning dialog when we broadcasted our serial number data across your LAN. Unfortunately, all of the commonly available firewall applications do not provide very much detail about our network query, they display LAN access requests in the same fashion that they treat an Internet access request via their single umbrella dialog window. In this checking process, no data is being transferred, via any means, to us or to anyone one else. We will be immediately looking at implementing a system that conducts the serial number check in a manner that does not trigger a warning dialog from your firewall applications. I hope this clarifies any issues related to problems with the Poser 4.0.3 updater. I will continue to monitor the boards and add comments as needed. Thanks for your understanding and patience. We're grateful for your loyalty and value your commitment to Poser immensely. Sincerely, Steve Cooper President, Curious Labs, Inc. www.curiouslabs.com