Forum: Photography

Subject: Exhibition disappointment,

BruB opened this issue on Oct 19, 2003 ยท 6 posts

BruB posted Sun, 19 October 2003 at 2:53 PM

Attached Link: http://cmcp.gallery.ca/exhibitions/on_view/charney/index.html

First of all, sorry if I made a mistake writting the title, as I'm not english. This warning passed here is a little thing I lived this week.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, we all know that as artist. What I find beautifull, is not always the opinion of others. So I went and visited a gallery of photographies and there was one exhibition showing the work of a great artist. But after looking at all the pictures, taking notes on some of them even. I have came back home just wondering what this guy took that was so great. Most of the picture I saw where over contrasted. My friends, artists also, but in different fields all commented that my work deserved alot more than the one we just looked at.

Now being modest I don't believe my work is worth much compare to some of the great artists showing their shots here on Renderosity. But i'll finish my editorial by asking a question.

Who decides what's good and what's amateur?
What's worth looking and what deserve to be put in exhibition?

Misha883 posted Sun, 19 October 2003 at 4:19 PM

Everyone gets fifteen minutes of fame... This should be an interesting list: a) Good Marketing. Travels in the RIGHT circle of friends, etc. Fashion. b) Looking at something in an entirely new way, (rare). Do not always die rich and happy. c) Pioneer of a new technology, or revival of an old one. d) Historically or socially significant. e) Passion for the subject material; landscape, world events, whatever. f)...

Misha883 posted Sun, 19 October 2003 at 4:21 PM

Amateur vs Professional is easier: Ability to consistantly give the customer the expected results, on time and under budget.

Wolfsnap posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 1:14 AM

Self promotion and confidence - I can state this from personal experience. I met a person who wanted to "illustrate" a book he/she was writing (from now on, I'll just say "he" for simplification reasons) - and was just getting into photography. I kinda "took him under my wing" and we went out several times to go over the basics of photography, composition, exposure, etc. At this time, this WAS NOT the main purpose of the book he was writing - and his photographic skills were mediocre at the time of publication. As a result, instead of his book being about 'Subject A" - it was published as a book about "How To Photograph Subject A". Upon publication (which was pretty much pre-approved prior to ANY photographic exposure (pun not intended)), his "photographic expertise" was a well sought after commodity - by some heavy names in the industry (at least on a local level). Short sightings such as "don't waste you time with this area photographically" are actually published in this book - which turns my stomach. Surely, nobody can carry the audacity to determine what is 'photogenic" for everybody else. (OK - I'm getting upset again - and I thought i was over it...) Point is - someone like this can put on a show with mediocre images, and it will draw much more attention than someone "unknown" - regardless of how he became "known". Because of his book, this guy can sell a shot of his ingrown toenail before I can sell a shot of Elvis landing in a UFO in front of the White House! Unfair? Yes! Screwed up? Yes! Piss you off? Yes!!! BUT (and it took a bit of time to realize this, for me, anyway). Why am I shooting? If I'm shooting to get on the "Hit Parade", I'm not shooting for me - and i have to shoot for me (with the exception of a few football games I've shot for the local paper and the odd commissioned job) - i have shot for me. I am piss-poor at self promotion. I'm worse at even allowing people to view my work. What solo shows I've had, I've spent hiding in the corners. My communication is my photography - it's how i get in touch with people - and the dude who poorly uses this "communication skill" to line his pockets is not an artists other than a con-artist. To me, the person who is able to "shoot what they feel" and successfully "markey what they shoot" is in a rare groove. NEVER allow some show influence what you "should" be shooting - you have to shoot what you see, what you want others to see in your vision, in the way you want others to see you vision - and if that's "artistic" enough to show, GREAT - but if it isn't, I would not adjust my vision based on what's expected from the general public. Whups - got a bit heavy there, sorry. My point is, yes - beauty IS in the eye of the beholder - but the STORY LINE HAS to come from the artist. Likie it or not, you're telling some sort of story with your images - if nothing other than "this is what I saw and how i saw it". Don't allow yourself to start looking through someone else's eyes! Wolf

BruB posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 9:26 AM

You bring up a very good point and like Misha said, Who you know does make a difference. But I can see how you can be frustrated after that story. I was just dispointed after an exhibition :)

Ent-man posted Wed, 22 October 2003 at 1:50 AM

WOW....I shoot for the pleasure of shooting...Im new here...I dont often post my work anywhere...I'm just having a lot of fun...I earn my living in an entire different field...I see some very nice stuff on this site...I was a little nervous about posting...but it's all about enjoying what you do....no matter if you make a ton of money or zero "like me" you just have to enjoy what you do.....