Forum: Bryce

Subject: Transfering Files

Stuie opened this issue on Aug 07, 2000 ยท 6 posts

Stuie posted Mon, 07 August 2000 at 4:02 PM

Thanks again everyone (i.e. hawkfyr) for your help at getting the patch for the Mac 3.1 to be used on my rendering machine. Now, for another question. How do I transfer the file from the creation machine to the renderer without losing bits of the scene? I assumed that all the information needed for the scene is imbedded in the file. Is this not the case? So if anyone can tell me what other files besides the *.br3 I need to copy over, I would really appreciate it. It kind of defeats the purpose of a separate machine if the integrity of the scene is compromised. Thanks in advance! ;)

Hawkfyr posted Mon, 07 August 2000 at 11:59 PM

Hi Stuie, Are you crossing platforms? are sending a file from a PC to a mac? I don't know much about macs but I know Macs dont read the file extensionds the same way.( Something having to do with the resource fork) Hawkfyr

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

Stuie posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 1:15 AM

Ahhh, as a matter of fact, I am crossing platforms. Does this mean that this solution...isn't? So, from what I understand, I guess I can't do a cross-platform thing. In any case, if I was going from PC to PC, would there be any problem with just passing over the *.br3 to be rendered? If I need to copy over any other files, please let me know.

Zottel1 posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 12:43 PM

It's no Problem to take the *.br3 File from PC to Pc. But I don't know how it is with Mac's.

Hawkfyr posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 6:41 PM

this may be a long shot , especially coming from a non mac-er. on the mac, remove the .br3 file extension. so intread of "stuies cool image.br3, it would just read "stuies cool image" I think macs dont understand a file extension. I could be wrong but until Caligula or another Mac-er chimes in, you could try it. good luck. Hawkfyr

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

CyberDog posted Wed, 09 August 2000 at 10:38 AM

I have transfered from pc to mac and mac to pc.Going onto a mac from pc,adding the br3 extension is a good idea.It is a must going from mac to pc. Objects and terrains import well but textures are another story.The texures come out close but not the same.I have found that the best bet is to keep track of textures used and apply them again.If you have edited textures,keep track of how you edited so you reedit. If there is an easier way,I would like to know too.