Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: ATTN: EDE - Photorealistic?

Darth_Logice opened this issue on Aug 08, 2000 ยท 14 posts

Darth_Logice posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 5:06 PM

Done entirely in Photoshop with standard filters and paint. The only photo used at all was for the eyebrows, courtesy of EDE's links given earlier. Eyes taken from another texture, um...can't find the source but came from "Susan" texture. Lips not present as requested. (If you are sane, you're using the remapped victoria found at morph world.) Comments please :) (Help me feed my huge ego (wait, I'm paranoid...are you patronizing me???) -Darth_Logice

Darth_Logice posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 5:07 PM

Oh, yeah, if you're content with 800x800 with some loss to jpeg horror, you can use this. If you want the original, let me know and we'll figure out a way to get you the bmp. -Darth

Ede posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 5:17 PM

hi darth you're a pretty fast texturizer ;-) good one, considered that it's only done in PS i'll add some of my ideas and we'll see where i end up i think something big might be out soon :-) -Ede

Darth_Logice posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 5:22 PM

Ede, the filters do all the work. The magic word here is "Plastic Wrap" believe it or not. I had some marginal pore effects going but I tried plastic wrap and wow, I got all that definition in one move. I am not thrilled with the eyebrows, but I am not saddened by them either. Now I'm going to go try to frankenstien your pics into a texture. I'm not optimistic though. Need a good frontal shot. -Darth

Ede posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 5:25 PM

frankenstein rocks :-) but don't start making nurbs or stuff like that LOL -Ede

picnic posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 6:08 PM

WEll, THANK YOU Darth--I bought PSLE just for some filters that were unavailable elsewhere--like plastic wrap, but never thought of trying it on texture. Neat. She's a 'tad' pink for me, but as I remember, you like 'pink girls'. She's kinda' cute--with Kozaburo's hair and a slightly less 'blue' eye--cute young woman.

Shay Kit Gurl posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 6:08 PM

You can do that to any texture you already have. Any texture you apply will stretch out and smooth the pores. The plastic wrap filter is an interesting idea though. I'll have to try it myself.

melanie posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 9:24 PM

Those look like Catharina's eyes. I use them on everything. Melanie

stimpy posted Wed, 09 August 2000 at 1:45 PM

Would you be able to post a quick tut on you texturing proceedure? That skin is great!

Darth_Logice posted Wed, 09 August 2000 at 2:19 PM

Not a God, but a Sith Lord. :) Tutorial, huh? Well, I can attempt to recall all the steps I took in photoshop 6. 1. Open the victoria template and increase it's size to 3000x3000. 2. Create new layer and fill with skin color of choice. 3. Select all the blank area from the template and go back to your solid color area and clear out the extra color. Delete areas over eyes, lashes etc. ONly ears, head, back of head should be left when you're done. 4. Take your flesh tone and darken it significantly in the color selector. get a big brush and paint horizontal thick line over areas that should be deeper on the head. (Eyesockets, under the cheeks, etc) then gaussian blur it until it looks professional (lol) sometimes, you need to gaussian blur it but it still looks to heavy so just accept it then adjust layer transparency. 5. Repeat step 4, but now do it for highlights and use white. on these two steps, a little goes a long way. 6. Now, you want pores. Do a layer via copy and experiment with various pixelate filters. I think I used a 15count color halftone to get smallish dots. Then, adjust saturation of level to just about zero so it's black and white. if you have more white than black, invert. adjust layer transparency so you have VERY subtle black and white circles all over the skin. merge down. 7. create layer via copy. Here, this is where ps6 comes in handy. Liquify this copied layer to spherize cheeks and sinkify eyesockets and areas under chin. This will break the monotony of the pores. You can do this with regular filters of same name/function but it's slower and hard to judge. when it looks right, merge it down. 8. Create again a layer via copy and Plastic wrap, and I have no idea what settings I used, so play around until it looks like skin to you. If it's too radical, try adjusting layer transparency. Merge down when satisfied. 9. You are almost done, but you may want to play around with brightness, contrast, hue, saturation etc to get it to match your ideal. Also, you might enjoy giving the whole thing just a tad of gaussian blur to smooth out the skin if it's just too much. 10. This is just like steps four and five, but you're going to use color for makeup. A bit of red on the forehead (center) the cheeks and a dab on the chin. Blur it to niceness and layer trans until subtle. Now highlight those areas with white, blur it etc... then do the same for eyeshadow with another color. you don't need to do a. eyes (black lashes define the lids and use transparency of course) b. lips (if you are using the modified millie mapping, which you should be) and c. Nostrils. Use material color for that (I did them here but they are wrongly placed under the lips and it doesn't make a difference) 11. Add freckles, moles and whatever variations you like at this point. Hope that helps. Going to go try these steps now and see if I get same or better results. -Darth_Logice

picnic posted Wed, 09 August 2000 at 4:05 PM

WEll done little tute Darth S. Diane B

picnic posted Wed, 09 August 2000 at 4:08 PM

WEll done little tute Darth S. Diane B

stimpy posted Wed, 09 August 2000 at 5:39 PM

I can't wait to try this technique. I'm working on a "real person" project (P4 woman) and the photo I'm using doesn't enlarge well. I've had to retouch a lot. I think this'll give me a nice realistic skin texture rather that the "painted" on skin. I've also found that using a facial bump map improves the "validity" of the texture (i.e., lines under the eyes, at the mouth ends, and forehead). Thanks again "Sith Lord" for sharing your "quick" technique with us all!

Darth_Logice posted Wed, 09 August 2000 at 5:44 PM

One more thing: After applying the plastic wrap, both times, I've discovered that it does better things to the right half of the head and almost ignores the left. I cut the face in half copy it and flip it and re-meld it so that the effect is universal. Thanks for the kind words and you're all welcome :) -Darth_Logice