Forum: Photography

Subject: a question about zoom-lenses

Raven_427 opened this issue on Dec 01, 2003 ยท 17 posts

Raven_427 posted Mon, 01 December 2003 at 4:07 PM

Hi there, i'm not really happy with my current zoom lens, a canon 70-300 mm 4-5,6 II. Bought it second hand and if i compare the results to other pics with similar focal lenght, mine seem to lack some sharpness. Maybe some motion blurr .. not really sure. So i'm thinking about buying me a new one, but what to get?? After lot's of research i'm leaning toward two lenses. Fixed focal lenses are not interesting for beeing .. yes, fixed. I like the flexibility of a zoom lens even if they do need more light. Ok, they are way to expensive too! Dreamt of haven a focal lenght beyond 400mm, but that's of no use without IS me thinks. Can't use a tripod anytime. So it comes to a Canon EF 75-300/4-5,6 IS USM or waiting one year (or two), save money like hell and get a EF 100-400/4,5-5,6L IS USM. Is the second one really so much better that there's no use in buying the smaller one? Some people say right that, but they seem to be pros with to much money to me ;). I'm no pro and paying 1600 Euro for a zoom lens seems to be overkill? Would my E300D even be capable to take advantage of such a lens? Or, to keep me some choice, would you believe a Sigma 170-500 lens is an option? Are there any other lenses you'd propose? Please no links as an answer. I've read so much the last days, i sometimes don't know my name anymore. I'd like to read personal statements from people, i can trust, not some anonymous website from someone not knowing what to do with his millions .. ;) .. of course, the L-lenses are better, but do i need that?? So, thanks for reading and thx in advance for any helpful comments one might have. Have a great day Raven / Tom