Forum: Photoshop

Subject: I'd like a few good reasons to buy Adobe Photoshop

amethyss opened this issue on Dec 02, 2003 ยท 13 posts

amethyss posted Tue, 02 December 2003 at 12:20 AM

I own PSP7 and have had lot's of fun using it.I still learn something new each day.To me it is quite a powerful editing software.I use Photo Impact also.Not real fond of it. =========================================================== Need a few good reason to foot out about $800CDN for Adobe.

Painting: The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critic_____website

Hoofdcommissaris posted Tue, 02 December 2003 at 5:28 AM

Attached Link: Google and get some coffee

There is a lot to say about that. A lot of people already did (see link). Why should you use more expensive professional software? The best reason would be that you are going to use it professionally. If it is just hobby and you have plenty of time on your hands, it stays up to you. After all, your software is just a tool.

ache_n_sole posted Tue, 02 December 2003 at 7:15 AM

I agree, in school we are being taught in Photoshop because more than likely when we enter the job market, that would be the prog used. I can get a student discount from Adobe which saves a lot of money, but I have to convert the license to a FULL license if I plan to use it in professionally (normally after school is finished).

~Anna~

RHaseltine posted Tue, 02 December 2003 at 8:17 AM

Anna - are you sure about that? I've never had a student licence, but I paid some attention when my sister was doing a post-graduate course; as far as I recall the Adobe academic licences are full licences with a differnt splash screen. Of course that may have changed for recent verions, but if you haven't confirmed the position it may be worth doing so.

bonestructure posted Tue, 02 December 2003 at 11:39 AM

Photoshop isn't just the best program, it's also the standard program in professional use. Whether you're on MAC or PC, if you enter the graphics field, you'll be expected to be an expert in Photoshop. And, while PSP is a damn fine program I regularly use myself, Photoshop goes so far beyond PSP's capabilities you can't even imagine it. Rather than thinking of Pshop as an expensive program, think of it as one of the few programs on the market that's actually WORTH the money. Keep in mind that if you do go into the graphics field, you'll also be expected to be familiar with several other standard programs such as Illustrator or CorelDraw, Quark Xpress, etc. And yes, even PSP which is used professionally. But PSP and Pshop have different strengths and weaknesses which I find compliment one another. For example, working with layers in PSP is nearly impossible for me, but they're dead easy in Pshop. And untol V6 and 7 in Pshop, working with text was far easier in PSP. PSP also has slightly better brush size control, but brush quality is nowhere as good. PSP has tubes, Pshop didn't get anything like tubes until v7 I think. Pshop also has actions, which I find among the most useful tools in the program. PSP is great, but Photoshop is just so much MORE.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

retrocity posted Tue, 02 December 2003 at 12:16 PM

@RH...
Anna is right about the "educational" version (well, you're right too...). The way Adobe words the EULA is if you purchase PS as a "student" your version is EXACTLY like the "full retail" version (the splash screen is diff, as you mentioned...). The difference is "how" you can use anything you create in PS!! Adobe wants you to "learn" the app so they'll cut some slack on price while you're a student (or teacher). But they want their cut when you move into the "professional" field. What happens is, after graduation, you are "supposed to" convert your license (most do this when upgrading to a newer version) from the "ed" to "full". Often it's just a different upgrade price. If you read the fine print in the "educational" versions EULA you'll see you are not allowed to make money off your PS work (that would make you a professional and not a student)

i'll try and find the copy but i think that's what she was talking about...

:)
retrocity

retrocity posted Tue, 02 December 2003 at 12:22 PM

here, check this link... i think i said it better ;)

:)
retrocity

Syncopate posted Tue, 02 December 2003 at 1:42 PM

Another thing to add... "when in doubt, take a class".... I've taken several classes in Photoshop... that is, Photoshop 4, Photoshop 5, Photoshop 5.5, and Photoshop 7 (I skipped 6)... and it was worth every minute. I can do things in Photoshop that hobbyists only dream of. Of course I can use my Photoshop professionally, because my Photoshop 7 is not an educational version. It is worth every $$ you spend because it is the industry standard.

amethyss posted Tue, 02 December 2003 at 10:04 PM

Oh lordy...it all sounds so good.

Painting: The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critic_____website

Hoofdcommissaris posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 2:41 AM

Maybe a wealthy uncle will understand the circle and invest in some kind of financing and break the circle: You need PS to learn professional skills, but you have to pay the professional price to learn it. It's all about the money... Good luck!

Chronophasia posted Wed, 03 December 2003 at 12:22 PM

You should buy it so you can make funny pictures of kittens in garbage bags!

SeaCrystal posted Sun, 07 December 2003 at 3:46 AM

It's worth the money ONLY if you really want to LEARN to use it everyday. I have both PSP and Photoshop7. I thought I would NEVER use both, but I DO and it's worth it!!! They compliment each other so much. What one has the other doesn't. You won't regret it if you want a powerful software with the ability to do professional work. You have to WANT to learn it though, cause there is a great big learning curve that most PSP users rather not tackle. I was one of them for a long time. PSP8 is really getting closer to PShop I believe, but it still has a way to go. And I totally agree with bonestructures comments.. Just my 2cents. -SeaC- :)

Imagination is the highest kite one can fly...

sargebear posted Sat, 13 December 2003 at 4:27 PM

it makes me damn good money,, and thats is a good enough reason, besides it fun too.