Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: DDRAM PC 400 or RDRAM

jibrielson opened this issue on Dec 13, 2003 ยท 6 posts

jibrielson posted Sat, 13 December 2003 at 3:48 AM

ive two Pcs , P4 2 ghz ,Intel 850MV ,512mb Rdram , HD 10 + 40Gb and the new ones P4 ,2,6 ghz ,Asus P4 PE-x series , 512Ddram PC333, HD 30 + 40gb when i render poser figure with dynamic cloth or hair , both computer give me very slow response , and i think i should upgrade memory to 1Gb , My question is , in my county and town 1 GB DDRam Pc 400 cost like 1 GB Rdram PC800 , which one i should buy , because i think Rdram more powerfull ( ive trying in several job for video and render) , but its lack in next support , and i`ve never trying the DDram PC 400 thanks for help jibriel

stewer posted Sat, 13 December 2003 at 5:27 AM

I can't give you a definitive answer on the DDR vs RD question, but if you should notice a lot of hard disc activity during rendering, lowering the bucket size in the render settings can speed up things.

jibrielson posted Sat, 13 December 2003 at 2:15 PM

thanks stewer its works

stewer posted Sat, 13 December 2003 at 3:18 PM

For the RAM question, you might want to ask the Hardware/Technical forum for help.

whoopdat posted Sat, 13 December 2003 at 3:44 PM

If your system uses DDR333, getting DDR400 won't do any good, UNLESS you get RAM that can handle low latencies. And then you'll be playing with a lot of settings in bios to try and customize everything to get every ounce of power you can out of it. That's stuff that's normally reserved for the overclockers/enthusiasts. It can get ugly since there's so many brands and they all perform differently. DDR vs RDRAM is a no-contest. RDRAM has almost zero support (in the mainstream) since Intel changed everything to DDR. I'd rather get a new motherboard, cpu, and ram than buy more RDRAM. The 800 mhz fsb P4s are nice, very nice. This coming from an Athlon owner.

layingback posted Mon, 15 December 2003 at 10:23 AM

Agree with everything whoopdat wrote - even including the being an Athlon owner bit. A 2.6 P4 might be pushing it, depends on the age of the chip (newer prodcution run the better), but a 2.4 800 fsb can sometimes be overclocked to a 1G fsb and an effective 3.0 CPU if you're lucky - and the DDR400 is really good. If you can push a 2.6 to 1G fsb that would be 3.25 and an amazingly fast system as the faster fsb speeds up just about the whole system. Of course you'd have to replace/upgrade all the memory, and read up on overclocking (www.tomshardware.com, www.hardocp.com, www.overclockers.com). And be lucky ;-)