Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Texturing Poser Figure in Cinema

come opened this issue on Dec 17, 2003 ยท 13 posts

come posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 3:21 PM

So I imported Don into Cinema 4d 8.No problem.Now in the material manager there are 17 material orbs.So where do i get all these materials from? i mean i searched for the texture map for Don in the runtime folder and there is a Don nude texture there.But there arent 17 seperate textures like teeth, iris, toenail, etc. I have seen some tutorials , but im more confused than before.Can anyone explain in a step wise manner how to texture this model.Also I tried applying one single texture material to Don in Cinema , but how do i know the proper projection type.it seems difficult at best to position the texture just right.Any suggestions appreciated.And yes ive seen the tuts, but I need a knowledgeable person to assist me.Im using C4D 8 and Poser 5. tinyrita@comcast.net

Questor posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 3:53 PM

There aren't 17 seperate textures in cinema either, what you have are 17 body parts or material parts. Eyes, head, body, toenails, etc etc. Double click on one of the texture balls to bring up the texture dialogue, then click the colour check box, click "Image" (red circle) and browse to the folder where your texture is stored. Select the texture and click ok, the texture will load into the editor and apply itself to the body part. Repeat for all body parts except this time you don't need to browse for the texture as it's already loaded. This time just click on the drop box arrow (orange circle) and you'll find the texture in the drop down under "Bitmaps", just apply that to the other areas. You don't need to worry about projection mapping because Don is UVMapped, the texture will wrap to the body parts (assuming you exported using Wavefront object). Set highlight, diffuse, bump and other levels as you see fit.

come posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 5:23 PM

Hey thanks.Does this mean that in reality, despite the fact that im applying the same texture repeatedly, theres only one poser texture that incorporates all the necessary body parts/ including texture for eyes , iris, toenail, etc?And thanks.First realistic reply i get.

SWAMP posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 1:53 AM

Attached Link: http://www.amazonescity.com/download/free3dformembers/index.php

For newer fiqures (Mill),you will have perhapes three...one for the body,head,and perhapes a trans map fpr eyelashes. Since your useing version 8 of Cin4d use this free plugin(link)to help with your Poser imports. SWAMP

come posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 2:04 AM

Actually, i did it, but i have this strange dark area under the eyes.Can you tell me what that utility at the link does.Im kinda noob when it comes to alpha.I wish i understood alphas better.Maybe what are the possibilities with alphas.

SWAMP posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 2:22 AM

That black is because you don't have the eyelash trans map I mentioned applied, and/or you don't have trans set in your material settings...see that list in Questors picture. As for the link..."Alpha" refers to the version..has nothing to do with alpha planes or channels. It is a plugin for Cin4d R8 that imports Poser scenes (as obj file)and makes it easy to apply your materials useing cr2,hr2,pz2 files found in poser. There is a very short tut at that site,but ask in the Cinema forum for more detailed info and help. SWAMP

Questor posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 5:28 AM

The Amazones plugin is actually an excellent tool and far superior to the CL plugin mess - not to mention you can cut down on texturing time by employing Mat pose files for other Poser figures. As Swamp says, the black area under the eyes is the eyelashes. Click in the alpha box on the materials list to activate it, then click on the image button, browse to the directory where your Don texture is stored and you should find an eyelash or Don trans.jpg in there somewhere which is the transparency map needed. Load that and the black bar should disappear showing "lashes" instead. If not play around with the ray depth a bit in the render settings as Cinema 8 has a minor bug regarding alpha channel layering. It can be worked around but takes a bit of fiddling. I'm not familiar with the Don character (not having P5) but it's possible that there's an eyebrow transmap as well - that should show either in the materials options if it exists, apply the transmap to that as well if there is one.

Himico posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 9:59 AM

Does the Amazones plugin work for Cinema4D6 ?
Any poser plugin for Cinema4D6?

Thank you.

Chris posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 10:36 AM

Attached Link: Poser To Cinema 4D

Amazones plug does not work with C4D 6, sorry. I have written a tutorial how to map a poser figure ... just follow the link above. Hope that helps Chris

"It Is Useless To Resist!" - Darth Vader

come posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 2:37 PM

Actually It was just a matter of checking the transparency box for the eyelash material in C4D.Thanks alot everyone.Mission accomplished.i might add.It was pretty straight forward.Just need to check the right boxes on the various eye related texture.good day all.

Viomar posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 4:59 PM

Settings for Hair & EyeLashes(poser to C4D). Check the "alpha" chanel on. Then load the transmap file(ex.: eyelashes.jpg). Now, unclick 'soft', set the 3 "Dial Bars" to '7'. Now reclick the 'soft' box on & set it to SAT. This will give you the best result for Hair & Lashes from Poser figures. For the Skin in the color channel, set the mode to "Alias 1" Cause, C4D's default 'MIP' setting kinda blurs the textures too much... Actually this applies to most textures. So do this for the Eyes's Irises, etc... Yet another adjustment is the "illumination" type. Switch it from "Phong" to "Oren-Nayar". This will even out the specularity on the Skin Parts. The Irises: Click the "Luminance" Chanel & put the same texture as in the 'Color' Chanel. Then change "Normal" to "Multiply". This will make the eyes brighter & more Vivid. Finally, lower the 'Bump' setting to 8 for the SkinBody, otherwise it will look odd(Specially around the "Bend Zones". Of course these are not set in stone! They are just guidelines from my own experimentations(which never stop). Marco

come posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 5:19 PM

thnaks buddies.

Himico posted Thu, 18 December 2003 at 6:08 PM

Thank you very much.
They are very helpful.

Himico.