Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Which uv mapping program to use ???

Dave-So opened this issue on Dec 20, 2003 ยท 11 posts

Dave-So posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 7:44 PM

I've been using uv mapper classic, the free version.. but there is also the Pro version... and Ultimate Unwrap 3D looks interesting... any others??? what are the pros/cons of the 2 listed???

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

SamTherapy posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 8:38 PM

I have only recently bought UVM Pro, so I can't tell you about many of its functions. One which is very useful to me is the ability to get a real time update - in 3D - of a texture as I work on it in Photoshop. Saves having to render again and again when working on seams.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

DominiqueB posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 9:55 PM

Right Hemisphere's DeepUv, very powerful program but not cheap.

Dominique Digital Cats Media

Dave-So posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 10:05 PM

I didn't include that one because of the deep price :)
I like the $50 or less pricing however...

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

wyrwulf posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 10:08 PM

They both have demo versions. Take 'em for a test drive and see which one works best for you.

PhilC posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 4:28 AM

I use UVMapper Pro all the time. At $50 it is exceptional value. I understand that Steve Cox is working on an upgrade which I believe will be free to existing customers.

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

TygerCub posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 6:53 AM

I second the good review for UVMapper Pro.

Little_Dragon posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 9:45 AM

I can't really think of any drawbacks to Ultimate Unwrap3D, other than the fact that it doesn't read UVMapper's native .uvs files.

maclean posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 10:41 AM

UVM Pro. Best $50 I ever spent. And the next upgrade will be free if you own the current version. mac

liteluvr posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 11:19 AM

I use UVM Lite and Unwrap3d and am pretty happy with both. Looking into getting UVM Pro as well.

Magix-101 posted Sun, 21 December 2003 at 8:38 PM

I have both and have used both extensively. (UV Mapper Pro and Ultimate Unwrap 3d) UV mapper pro is better for basic stuff...its stretching and unwrapping of edges is great and so on...also if you are working from Poser you dont have to re scale the tiny Poser size model.(all other apps use a much larger scale...so Ultimate requires this...re scaling is no problem though, and you need to do this to see the model in realtime 3d in the window) However overall Ultimate unwrap 3d is much much more powerful......you can subdivide any part of the model with out destroying the UVs (very usefull), you can pan the cAMERA around the 3d model in real time and point it at vertices and UV map them in real time in 2d (AWESOME FEATURE) also you can grab a line of vertices and straighten them vertically or horizontally in one stroke (doing this on UV mapper Pro is a PAIN!!! and slow as hell!! I would get both...they dont do the same job, rather they do different areas in a way. So to sum up...for basic Poser work...UV MAPPER PRO For just about everything else ULTIMATE UNWRAP To be honest Ultimate Unwrap is like a version 3 of UV Mapper pro...its way ahead. Cheers Harvey Mann