Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Thin posable wire, string, and so forth

jpiazzo opened this issue on Dec 29, 2003 ยท 10 posts

jpiazzo posted Mon, 29 December 2003 at 2:20 PM

I need to make a thin posable wire for a scene. I have tried something called EasyPoseTube, but when I size its diameter really small, it seems to bend wierdly. Normally I might do this in post - but I want to animate it. I know it sounds sick, but I need it to stitch a few body parts together. Do I need to model this from say a bunch of tube prims and then "bone" it? that would be a new skill for me! OR, should I just re-size my Body really big to match the EasyTube default size? JP

geep posted Mon, 29 December 2003 at 3:01 PM

What size do you need? Diameter? Length? cheers, dr geep ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

pazu posted Mon, 29 December 2003 at 3:05 PM

You could try attaching single Poser hairs to various objects. Would be bit tricky to guide the free ends to where you want them...

geep posted Mon, 29 December 2003 at 3:12 PM

Hey jpiazzo, One more parameter ... What is the minimum radius of bend that you need? cheers, dr geep ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Phantast posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 2:27 AM

This is interesting. Coiling string/wire would be useful in many contexts. Just having some lying around on the floor always adds a bit of squalor to a scene.

geep posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 2:30 AM

Maybe ... just maybe ... we can make one in Poser. Let's see what the requirements are. ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

jpiazzo posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 11:52 AM

Hey dr geep, & all

I find it a bit hard to state exact dimensions, basically because I never really understood poser scale, But....

I loaded a cylinder next to a default male figure and resized the Diameter to 0.5% - that looks about right
for thick wire or string. I'm thinking about barbwire here.
Length is variable I would probably like about 3 or 4 "poser feet" of it.
Bend radius would , I suppose, depend on material. String would have to bend very smoothly - stiff wire could probably be made up of a little bit longer sections as wire would tend to kink a little anyway. The ability to morph from a coil to a straight section would be cool.

Hey, here is a project that could eat up untold amounts of time ;-) lets make a ball of yarn that will unroll so that the Poser cat has something to play with!

JP

daverj posted Wed, 31 December 2003 at 9:48 PM

Attached Link: http://www.djdesign.com/poser/daverjwire.zip

Give this a try. It should scale down OK. I suggest that after you load it, go to the Figure menu and enable "Use Limits". Let me know how it works for you.

daverj posted Thu, 01 January 2004 at 3:03 PM

I just did some tests with it shrunk small, and it works OK if you use the dials or if you make small movements with the mouse using the Translate/Move tool. But if you grab the end and drag a lot it can get pretty weird looking pretty fast. I think it has something to do with the way Poser rounds numbers when they are very small. It doesn't use enough decimal places in it's numbers to maintain accuracy. So use the dials and you'll be fine when it's scaled down to the size of a thread/string.

jpiazzo posted Fri, 02 January 2004 at 11:39 AM

WOW Thanks - at first glance it looks great. I'll try it in context when I get home. I've got to stay away from Poser at work, or nothing will get done! JP