Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poses as Parameter Dials

Literata opened this issue on Dec 30, 2003 ยท 14 posts

Literata posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 10:13 AM

Is it possible to create a parameter dial that would assign a pose to V3? I've got V3 in a sitting pose. I'd like to have parameter dials that would take a non-posed V3 and move her into the sitting pose. Ideally, I'd like a dial to handle her left arm, another to handle her right arm, another for her legs, &c. (And, it'd be cool to have one dial that would also do it all.) The Poser 5 manual says: "Deformers are not automatically turned into morph targets for full-figure morphs, nor are scales, rotations, and translations." Which I interpret as meaning, if I want to do it, I have to do it manually (somehow).

TrekkieGrrrl posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 10:22 AM

That's what you use the Pose libraru for :o) Once you've made (or downloaded/bought) a sitting pose for V3 you can use it again and again, as long as it's saved in your Pose library first. Or did I misunderstand what you wanted to do? :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Literata posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 10:36 AM

No, you got the gist of it. :-) What's really driving this question is this: I've got V3 in a sitting position, and a series of poses which take her through the action of drinking from a wineglass. I've saved off the series of poses as .pz2 files, but they're all having her sitting (of course). What I'd like to do is have that 'drinking' series available to me, should I decide to have her doing it in a standing position. Now, the other alternative would be to create a series of partial-body poses, just on the body parts involved in the drinking action. (In fact, that's probably how I'll wind up doing it in the end.) But wouldn't be neat to have a parameter dial that -- when set to 0 -- puts her at the beginning of the drinking action, and when set to 1 puts her at the end of it? (More properly, is that possible?) Does that make sense? Thanks!

ockham posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 10:50 AM

Interesting idea. I'll try to build a Python script that does the job.... should be fairly quick. Will report here when done, or when failed!

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

geep posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 11:21 AM

How about just doing an animation? That can be saved as a "pose" ... no? Just a thought. cheers, dr geep ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Literata posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 11:32 AM

I didn't know that about animations (or are you j/k? :-) I'm still sold on the idea of a "Drinking Water" parameter dial that I could range through from initial to final pose. The idea's kinda cool...but I doubt that it's possible -- it sounds like one of those things, if it were possible, we'd be seeing it already. Thanks!

ockham posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 12:10 PM

Attached Link: http://ockhamsbungalow.com/Python/Varpose.zip

Dr. Geep is right.... the obvious way to get "stages" of a pose is to set up an animation. You can then let Poser interpolate. But that would also include everything else that moves, not just the one figure. For what it's worth, here's the Python script. Suggestions for improvement are requested! The image shows the script, and the result of scaling down the standard "flung" pose. The instructions are included in the ZIP, but here's a copy of the text for immediate use. ------------------------ The target figure must be in place and selected before applying the script. When the script is activated, it presents a file-open box, which will most likely point to your Pose folder. Browse and select one PZ2 file. The file box will go away, and the chosen file will show in the upper entry box. Set the slider to the desired percentage of the full pose, and hit the Apply Scale button. You'll see the full pose appear briefly, then the scale will take effect. and pick

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Literata posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 2:48 PM

Ockham...you are da Man! Many thanks!

ockham posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 3:04 PM

De nada. Clarifying the instructions a bit: After you start the script, you can set the scale and hit the Apply button as many times as you want. This is probably intuitive, but not quite clear from the readme.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

maclean posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 4:25 PM

You don't actually need to save the pose as an animation to get the benefits of animation. Here's an easy way to get intermediate settings with 2 poses. Apply pose 1 to the figure, then apply pose 2. Apply pose 1 again, then open the animation controls and move forwards a frame at a time. The figure will go from pose 1 to pose 2 in small steps. (You can also use the arrow keys to do this). It's a long time since I've done this, so I may not have it quite right, but that's the basic idea. If you replace pose 2 with a 3rd, you'll be going from pose 1 to pose 3. And so on.... mac

lesbentley posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 5:14 PM

To the best of my knolege it's not posible to impliment a pose from a paramiter dial (and that's a great pitty). You say "I'd like to have parameter dials that would take a non-posed V3 and move her into the sitting pose.", to some extent this is possible, I once created a p4 character with ERC that that would move her into a sitting position, but only if she started out in a zeroed pose or somthing close to it. Basicly this worked by having a master channel that controled the translateY of the hip (with a deltaAddDelta value of -0.022), the rotateX of the thighs (with a deltaAddDelta value of -10.000), and the shins (with a deltaAddDelta value of 10.000). Attached is the text of a pz2 that will inject the necessary slaving code to make a character sit down, the file was made for Posette so you may have to edit the deltaAddDelta value for hip when the file is used on Victoria or other figures. It will also be necessary to to add a master channel, as new channels can't be injected. To do this you can either load the figure into Poser, zero all the morphs, then spawn a full body morph with the name "SitDown", or you can use a text editor to add a valueParm channel with this name to the cr2. Having said all that, the idea of adding an animation pose to the character, as I think was sugested by Geep, is probably an easier way to go.

lmckenzie posted Wed, 31 December 2003 at 12:17 AM

How did the old Poser 2 figures change hand poses using a parameter dial? Were those actually alternate geometries or morphs? I saw that the skeleton's hands in P4 work the same way.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Little_Dragon posted Wed, 31 December 2003 at 1:55 AM

They're alternate geometries. You can find all the hand OBJs in the skeletons' geometry folders.

Jim Burton posted Wed, 31 December 2003 at 12:08 PM

And I tried plugging in a PZ2 instead of an OBJ file, for the BODY, didn't work though. However, it would probabably be possable to make a Full Body Morph work as a pose, you would need to put it into each and evey rotation channel though, and have one dial for every pose. Sort of brute-force but it should work, except I'm not going to try it! ;-)