Forum: Bryce

Subject: My First True Bryce pic....

SmileyMax opened this issue on Jan 11, 2004 ยท 24 posts

SmileyMax posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 6:07 AM

I spent the last three days modeling this in bryce...(alot of learning was involved) It was my first bryce model, infact my first complex 3d model of any kind.. so i thought i'd put it up and see what everyone thought of it.... The background would need a little work before i would consider the whole scene good, but I just wanted to focus this post on the model....

RodsArt posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 6:14 AM

You're first model??? Amazing, you have a true knack for this. The modeling,texturing,& attention to detail are top notch. Did you do the LPs also?

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

SmileyMax posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 6:17 AM

Thanks. I did do the LP's myself, there were really easy actually, I just took a picture of one of mine and use that as a texture for a cylinder with a little bit of a bump map... I spent alot of time walking back and forth from my turntable to the computer to get the details down. Devin Taylor Thinking Allowed Graphics

IndigoSplash posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 6:48 AM

Awesome job! Would never have guessed it was your first. Can't wait to see how you do after you've done it a while. Hope you like writing tuts :)

draculaz posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 6:49 AM

absolutely no complaints from me. absolutely excellent.

Ang25 posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 7:29 AM

Ok my jaw is back in place, I'll refrain from using all the experlatives that came out of it as it was falling to the floor. I'm so amazed. Who are you! You can't be human. This is your first Bryce but you must have years of experience elsewhere. This is phenominal. One thing tho, you can't be a youngin. Most of them have no idea what a turntable is let alone own one, LOL. I don't recognize that record label, may I ask who it is? Its been years since I've looked at my records. Again WOW!

SmileyMax posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 7:41 AM

Haha, thats actually funny that you would mention that I'm not a youngin, cause to be quite honest I'm only 19 haha. I'm a DJ so my turntables are very precious to me, and the record is actually a single from The Prodigy. About the experience, well I've only been working with 3D for about a week now, but I have been a web designer for about 4 years, and a graphic artist for 6. But thanks for comments. Devin Taylor Thinking Allowed Graphics

RodsArt posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 7:44 AM

The star looks like Decca, but the other dark thing looks like a C for Columbia. See how close I get. We have boxes of new & old in the basement, my son is in the music trade & used to bring home tons of stuff.

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

Ang25 posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 9:02 AM

DJ's still use turn tables, lol. Ok so being young does explain the ability to pour your all into something. Well you've done an excellent job. Hope you stick around and show us more wonderful creations. Despite not being young, I have heard of Prodigy. I listen to current music in the car. Did they do "fire starter (starta)"? Anyways, for a first Bryce modeling job you definately blew my mind. :-D

GROINGRINDER posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 9:14 AM

Wow, I didn't think anybody had turntables anymore. You have done an excellent job. Although I could use a turntable to listen to my old blues albums, they sound much better on cd. Sorry I do not listen to current music as I am stuck in Classic Blues mode.

zescanner posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 9:21 AM

Wow indeed! This is incredible. An excellent modeling job and render for anyone and for this to be from a newbie is awesome! Your lighting is superb as well. Okay, so you told us how you did the LPs... I'm curious how you did the arm for the needle? That doesn't look like a standard Bryce shape for sure.

Erlik posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 9:38 AM

Beautifully done.

-- erlik

rickymaveety posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 10:00 AM

Lordy LORDY!! A first Bryce render and it has NOTHING to do with a reflective sphere floating over water!! No, really, this is outstanding.

Could be worse, could be raining.

chohole posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 10:11 AM

Gobsmacked is the only word that comes to mind.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

corys311 posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 10:59 AM

I had the exact question about that curved arm, but although it'd be a pain in the ass, you could cut a torus with to cubes and carefully position cylinders on the ends. I wouldn't want to do it, lol. Wouldn't be TOO hard though... Good work man, I'm only 17, and I own a turntable also, not that I use it or anything LOL... Cory BS

corys311 posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 11:00 AM

By the way, the C on the label isn't printed on it, it's a scratch or something...

misfit7707 posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 11:03 AM

that is really good! did you only use bryce or did you use something else? if you did use bryce to make the arm, then i know how much work you went through to make it. i myself made a paperclip once, and it was really hard to work with the sizing and resizing of toruses and cylinders, and such. but yeah, this is a really good piece of artwork, especially for your first time! great lighting, great modelling. bravo!

Quest posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 12:43 PM

A spectacular job and quite impressive for a first Bryce render. Excellent work!

pakled posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 2:28 PM

sheesh..my turntable is 19 (well, let me think.. 197x..er..well.., more like 30-something..;) Some folks just have the knack. good job on the arm, don't even see exports do a good turn like that..well, back to the Technics..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

RobertJ posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 3:06 PM

Hard to believe that this is your first model and render with Bryce. I have an idea how he made that curved arm, but a wireframe screenshot of that arm would be most helpfull. The rest of the table is much standard stuff that i would do blindfolded with two fingers up in my nose :)

Robert van der Veeke Basugasubasubasu Basugasubakuhaku Gasubakuhakuhaku!! "Better is the enemy of good enough." Dr. Mikoyan of the Mikoyan Gurevich Design Bureau.

SmileyMax posted Sun, 11 January 2004 at 5:02 PM

well the "C" on the record is actually printed on the record but its not a "C" its just part of the scratchy design of the artwork, and yes prodigy does do firestarter very nice. Well, about the tonearm. I spent like an hour trying to figure out how to put toruses together with cylinders to make it bend and well i didn't get anything from that, since it's like impossible to to make the thicknesses up. What I ended up doing was duplicating the long straight cylinder making about 1 unit in length and placing it the end of the long one. Then using multi-replicate, i made about 40 or so of them with an small offset and a small rotation until i found the right curves. I'll Post a Wireframe later today if a get a chance. Thanks Again for all the comments, didn't think i'd stir up this much talk. Devin Taylor Thinking Allowed Graphics

nuski posted Mon, 12 January 2004 at 6:44 AM

I was wondering how you placed the record image onto the top of a cylinder?

SmileyMax posted Mon, 12 January 2004 at 9:01 AM

Nuski.....I used a photo of an actual record and loaded that into a photographic texture, the placement was a real pain cause the texture wasn't centered onto the cylinder, but i managed to make it fit.....if you not using photographic textures then... well i reccomend you start, cause i've seen amazing differences watching other artists use them. Devin Taylor Thinking Allowed Graphics

Incarnadine posted Mon, 12 January 2004 at 6:49 PM

@SmileyMax Very nicely done. Good technique on the tonearm. @Grongrinder LOL, I still have my original Dual 502 and it gets regular use.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!