Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Any good boning tutorials?

alamanos opened this issue on Jan 20, 2004 ยท 8 posts

alamanos posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 10:42 AM

I've started modeling, and after a few weeks i'm quite happy with some of the stuff i've modeled. The probelm i've been having is bringing the clothes into poser and boning them. I've managed to do a decent job at conforming a top and a pair of pants. But a skirt.. forget it.. no way.. can't get them to work... I've been using the auto group feature in P5.. then messing around with the groupings.. I've looked at some existing dresses and skirts for Vicky.. and they seam to have odd bone stuctures.. I'm talking about bones like "back" or "Center" wich don't even exist in Vicky.. but they exist in the bone structure of the skirt? any help would be greatly appreciated.. I'd like to get Philc tutotrial.. but at $45... it just a bit more than i can afford.. Nick

usslopez posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 11:12 AM

A while back pdxjims(sp) made a posting in this forum about boning and gave a real quick rundown on how to do it. It was for a pair of undies for M2 and boning them to M3 (I think). I think but the explination was real good and easy to understand. Maybe do a search in this forum for his name and boning. I don't know how long the messages stay in here.

My RMP Store ; My Free Stuff

usslopez posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 11:41 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1469432

Here's a thread about PHI Builder.

My RMP Store ; My Free Stuff

alamanos posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 11:51 AM

Thanks.. looks like a good start.. Nick

_Audrey posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 1:55 PM

Passed on to you from you-know-who Conforming clothing: - Model clothing around the OBJ file, not an export. - Open the figure you want to put the clothing on. If it's a Mil3 figure, open the BLANK. - Check the feet and make sure th translations are set to 0. - Turn off IK. - Click the hip and make sure it's not transed or rotated. - Open the joint editor. - Click 'Zero Figure' - Select Edit->Memorize->Figure. - Save the figure to the library with a new name (for instance, Puck BC). This is now almost a base conformer. - Open the BC in a text editor. Jump to the Figure block. - Remove any InkyChains. Check the hands and feet and remove all references to inkyParent and change any nonInkyParent to say parent instead of nonInkyParent. If it's a nonhuman figure, do the same with any IK goal (the part you drag around to move the limb). - Save. - Copy to a new file. Name for your clothing, mane, skeleton, lymphatic system, armour, or other type of conformer. Whatever. - Find the first figureResFile line. CHange the path so it points at your geometry. - Find the second figureResFile line. Delete it. It's dumb. - Save - Load in Poser and conform to your figure. Note that if you're distributing it instead of just using it, you want to do a bit more. Remove any figure ONE PAST where your clothing ends. For instance, on a shirt that reaches to the wrist, leave in the Hand but delete all the Fingers. Even if your mesh is asymmetrical, leabve enough ghost parts to remain symmetrical or it will fit lopsided. In other words, if you have a Gladiator's sleeve on the right arm as a conformer, you want all the way up to the left hand, too, or it will not conform unles yu hack in an endpoint, which is just a pain. There's other things to clean up for distribution, but most are beyon the scope of 'making it conform' which is what this is.

weskaggs posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 3:56 PM

You're having problems because the task is very difficult. Skirts are essentially impossible to conform because they don't follow the structure of the body -- two independent legs joined at the hips. In fact, all of the Poser skirts and dresses behave oddly when you move the legs, sometimes very oddly indeed. Because of this, some bonemakers have added extra joints so that the user can do things to fix the oddness, and others have given up on conformability and treated the skirt as a deformable tube. There is no approach that is anywhere close to perfect, and the best solution is a function of how much "freedom of movement" you need the model to have.

alamanos posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 4:58 PM

Thanks for the help. I'll try some if these changes tommorow night and hopfully if all works well I'll have some freebies for steph petite.. Nick

fls13 posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 5:58 PM

If a skirt is the issue, just use the cloth room.