Forum: Writers

Subject: A clean expletive?

Tilandra opened this issue on Jan 20, 2004 ยท 79 posts

Tilandra posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 1:02 PM

** This would have gone in the writer's forum, but I figured it would be more fun and more active to post here. I'm putting together the finishing touches on a character for a graphic novel/multi-media novel project I've had in the back of my mind for a couple years now. The protagonist is a strong female character who gets thrown into some unusal and other-worldly situations. I want to give her a "catch phrase" for when she finds herself in hot water, similar in practice to Sam Beckett's "Oh boy..." in the series Quantum Leap, however I want it to be edgier... but not too edgy. I've been using "Feh" as a placeholder until I figure out what I want to use. Throw me some ideas people? If I like it and use it, I promise to send you a free first issue when it's completed. Some guidelines... go light on the profanity. "Aw crap" and "dammit" were tossed around as an idea, but I didn't like the sound of em, and that's about as rough as I want to go. I don't want it to be too comedic... "Oh doodles!" isn't going to cut it. Two to three words long is ideal. To set it up, a tough female detective makes a wrong turn into an alley, comes face-to-face with a werewolf and she says..... ?