Forum: Carrara

Subject: Anyone running CS3 on a G5?

PAGZone opened this issue on Jan 21, 2004 ยท 6 posts

PAGZone posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 9:30 PM

Hi, I was wondering, before I crack open the box on this G5, if any of you are running CS3 with a Mac G5? I guess I should have checked before I bought it, but well, I'm an impulse shopper, sorry to say. Anyway have you found any glitches or problems? Or is everything A.O.K? I know they say that the G5 is fully backwards compatible, but I don't believe that for a second... Thanks! Paul

rendererer posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 9:36 PM

I use Carrara at home on a G4, mostly, but I also installed it on my G5 at work, so I can render big animations more quickly if I need to. I have only played with it for about 2 hours there, but it runs nicely. It's a dual processor machine, and I can see both processors running when I render (the yellow render block with the "1" in it is joined by a red one with a "2" in it). So, not a lot of time under my belt, but certainly a positive experience so far. Certainly much MUCH faster than my G4.

PAGZone posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 10:47 PM

Cool thanks for the info. I am sure most apps run just fine, but there are a few that no longer function on a G5... regards, Paul

ralphh posted Sat, 24 January 2004 at 8:55 AM

Virtual PC wouldn't run on a G5 because it uses a unique dual big-endian/ little-endian capability that IBM decided to remove from the G5. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Virtual PC was the only app affected.

-Ralph

hartcons posted Sat, 24 January 2004 at 10:23 AM

I've read that some apps are having trouble coping with Panther (don't know about Carrara, though).

PAGZone posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 7:18 PM

Thanks, yeah I heard that about VPC, but according to MS the new version coming this summer will be fully optimized for G5. I have a P4 2.54Ghz pc for office stuff anyway. Well I was also waiting to open it to see if they released new models to the G5 today, but maybe tomorrow. Oh well my wifes new PowerBook works good. ;-) Regards, Paul