Forum: Bryce

Subject: Rendering problems

maga opened this issue on Sep 08, 2000 ยท 4 posts

maga posted Fri, 08 September 2000 at 3:54 AM

I'm trying to render an image which is abt 6 megs (I've been rendering much bigger files....) At a certain point everything stops, I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and it says tha Bryce is blocked. I have no desktop image and no other programs running. Most of the mats are waters,only 2 "lenses" are glass but they are small. I also tried to render one small piece at the time, but it still keeps stopping. I have a Pentium II 233 Mhz with 64 meg ram. I had no problems before....How can I solve this problem?

RKane_1 posted Fri, 08 September 2000 at 3:58 AM

I know this sounds weird but... try waiting. Next time you have this crop up, wait about 15 minutes and come back to your computer. Mine chokes on certain files too but then I guess after its "chewed on" the math for a while, it swallows and gets on with the render. Wish I had a better solution but I just got finished rendering a 33.6 meg render this way. Took days.

Hubert posted Fri, 08 September 2000 at 6:24 AM

Hi Maga, got some similar observations. Bryce obviously "froze", when reaching specific parts of my scenes, that suddenly involved additional transparent material, reflections or light-sources!! Just wait, as RKane_1 suggested, for 20..30 minutes, if it slightly crawls to the next percent-value or screen-line. Where does it stop? Same screen-line? Reaching specific objects/materials?!! Or take one of the lenses out as a test-file, if this speeds up the calculation. I assume, its rather due to some objects, that suddenly get involved and which need a considerable amount of calculation-power. Cheers, Hubert

"All that we see or fear, is but a Sphere inside a Sphere."     (E. A. Pryce -- Tuesday afternoon, 1845)

Caligula posted Fri, 08 September 2000 at 11:48 AM

I had one file that had these two trees that were huge in the polygon count. Bryce gave an estimate of 9 days to render (I kid you not). The file size was about 60 M. Once I took the trees out (I put them back in via post production) the render time dropped to 2 hours.