Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: Boning a single mesh (no parts) Poser figure?

kuroyume0161 opened this issue on Feb 08, 2004 ยท 21 posts

kuroyume0161 posted Sun, 08 February 2004 at 5:42 PM

BL Render mentions in "Secrets of Figure Creation" that it is theoretically possible to bone a Poser figure as a single mesh. I might need to take him up on the theory and put it into practice. I have an object that needs to bend smoothly. This is sort of like bending a segmented cylinder, so there isn't much complexity involved in the mesh. At first, I was going to use only morphs to add curvature, but have decided that bones are more 'flexible' (hehe) and require less "fix" morphs for the other morphs. But, this introduces a problem in adding morphs. All of the morphs are setup for the entire mesh, not just the segments that would be required. Simple enough in other 3D apps with boning/morphing, but not Poser. Poser wants "parts" (groups, whatever) in a hierarchy and will only accept morphs on parts. To split up these morphs into the segments would not only be ridiculously time consuming, but probably nearly impossible to retain vertex order in the process as well as multiplying their number by 6, 8, 16, or 32. That's WAY too many morphs (possibly hundreds on one of the simple objects). I could use any help possible as I'm new to Poser rigging. If no solution is found, I could always stick to morphs only, but it is not my first choice. Thanks in desparation, Kuroyume

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone