Forum: Community Center

Subject: No Protection For Children?????

DRIV opened this issue on Sep 19, 2000 ยท 12 posts

DRIV posted Tue, 19 September 2000 at 7:51 AM

Snip From The NEW Privacy Statement This site collects online contact information from children without prior parental consent or parental notification. This site collects personally identifiable offline contact information without prior parental consent. This site distributes to third parties personally identifiable information collected from children without prior parental consent. This site gives children the ability to publicly post or distribute personally identifiable contact information without prior parental consent. I Could Have SWORE The Old Management Had a Disclaimer For All New Members Under 15 To Get Parental Consent. Now You Throw That Out The Window And Sell And Distribute Info About Kids!?? That Is WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! What Is WRONG With You People???

CharlieBrown posted Tue, 19 September 2000 at 8:32 AM

This IS wrong, for three reasons: 1) It's immoral to take identification information from children without adult consent. 2) The law may not have been passed yet, but there was legislation under consideration as recently as two years ago to make the collection of information from minors without parental concent totally illegal. 3) A statement like this can allow ANY European ISP to block access to this site, in concord with the European privacy laws.

tim posted Tue, 19 September 2000 at 9:31 AM Site Admin

You make a valid point. The privacy agreement contains some boiler-plate text that wasn't updated properly to reflect the actual policy of this site. It has been corrected.

CharlieBrown posted Tue, 19 September 2000 at 9:47 AM

That's good to hear, Tim. And I must admit that the information presented here was presented by a "hostile witness" and may have been presented out of context, but even so, it DID look bad for "you guys"! :-)

LoboUK posted Tue, 19 September 2000 at 9:59 AM

Shouldn't all the members of this site be directed to the new terms of service? Since they've changed so dramatically there may now be clauses in there that are not acceptable to some people. Paul smiley83.gif

tim posted Tue, 19 September 2000 at 10:01 AM Site Admin

That's fine. What's the best way to do that in your experience?

LoboUK posted Tue, 19 September 2000 at 10:18 AM

A simple note in each forum should be sufficient - remember that not everyone comes in through the front pages. Many of the members here have their favorite forums book-marked and go to them directly. Paul smiley83.gif

DRIV posted Tue, 19 September 2000 at 10:49 AM

Pardon Me But I Clipped DIRECTLY From The New Terms Of Service And Privacy As it Was Posted At The Time Of My Postings. Whether It Has Been Changed Or Not, I Do Not Know. But I Took Nothing Out Of Context Or Changed The Information. I Simply Commented And Reacted On Something I Saw As Very Wrong. Call Me a "Hostile" Witness If You Wish, But That's Not Entirely Accurate. I Do Not, Nor Should Anyone Mess Around When It Comes To Children. I Appreciate Tim's Response To This Issue And Trust It Will Be Handled Properly. Thanks

CharlieBrown posted Tue, 19 September 2000 at 11:13 AM

{Pardon Me But I Clipped DIRECTLY From The New Terms Of Service And Privacy As it Was Posted At The Time Of My Postings.} Fair enough; it did appear VERY alarming. { Whether It Has Been Changed Or Not, I Do Not Know. But I Took Nothing Out Of Context Or Changed The Information. I Simply Commented And Reacted On Something I Saw As Very Wrong.} As worded, it WAS very wrong! I didn't have the time or patience to check and see if it was in context or not... {Call Me a "Hostile" Witness If You Wish} Your reaction to the OTHER parts of the Privacy statement - some VERY standard for the internet (unlike the above section which, as posted WAS both improper and probably illegal) tend to support such an accusation - I apologize if I was mistaken. {I Appreciate Tim's Response To This Issue And Trust It Will Be Handled Properly.} As, I assume, we all do! :-)

duo posted Wed, 20 September 2000 at 5:15 PM

What is wrong in 3d ultrartificial nudes? What is wrong???????????????????????????? Do you think that your childs will be disturbed and corrupted with such kind of views?? DO YOU R E A L L Y THINK IT??????????????? DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DISCUSS IT????????????????????????????????????? There is something wrong in Micelangelo's nudes????????????? PLEASE TELL ME IF THERE IS SOMETHING RELLY WRONG??????????????? I'm worried for americans... REALLY An European

CharlieBrown posted Thu, 21 September 2000 at 9:57 AM

Duo, I'm an American, and I'm worried for us too... Personally, I don't much like looking at nudes, but I feel that it is my right to do so, or not do so, as I wish, and believe that - unless it's done illegally (i.e., without their consent), or in some inappropriate manner - everyone else should have that right. However, children should be protected from HAVING to see this kind of stuff (or from seeing it at all IF their parents think this is the best way to raise them) until they are mature (not always OLD) enough to understand what they are seeing - even if it is "ultra-artificial." Heck, from what I've heard, that term describes the sex scenes in most Hollywood films as well as it does 3D art... However, the "protection" mentioned here is a protection of information. Children are notoriously more free with what they say than are adults (many haven't learned what to say and what not to yet - some, such as possibly myself - never learn). SEVERAL major websites came under heavy critism and at least one lawsuit a few years back for soliciting information from minors without parental concent (I believe either Kelloggs or Post was the main offender at the time, but it's been a while). The statement above, since retracted/re-worded by EdgeNet, says that everything children say is theirs, essentially, and that they have the right to this information.

CharlieBrown posted Thu, 21 September 2000 at 10:01 AM

Duo, I'm an American, and I'm worried for us too... Personally, I don't much like looking at nudes, but I feel that it is my right to do so, or not do so, as I wish, and believe that - unless it's done illegally (i.e., without their consent), or in some inappropriate manner - everyone else should have that right. However, children should be protected from HAVING to see this kind of stuff (or from seeing it at all IF their parents think this is the best way to raise them) until they are mature (not always OLD) enough to understand what they are seeing - even if it is "ultra-artificial." Heck, from what I've heard, that term describes the sex scenes in most Hollywood films as well as it does 3D art... However, the "protection" mentioned here is a protection of information. Children are notoriously more free with what they say than are adults (many haven't learned what to say and what not to yet - some, such as possibly myself - never learn). SEVERAL major websites came under heavy critism and at least one lawsuit a few years back for soliciting information from minors without parental concent (I believe either Kelloggs or Post was the main offender at the time, but it's been a while). The statement above, since retracted/re-worded by EdgeNet, says that everything children say is theirs, essentially, and that they have the right to this information.