Forum: Community Center

Subject: Public Trials, language - some questions

STORM3 opened this issue on Sep 22, 2000 ยท 19 posts

STORM3 posted Fri, 22 September 2000 at 7:46 PM

This is a serious request. Tim Perhaps you could post a list of "banned" words so we all know exactly what is what. You see there is a bit of a problem here. I am a Broadsheet Journalist in Ireland and until a few years ago the word "crap" was a no no as regards print and live broadcasts. But then the Taoiseach (Primeminister) of Ireland at the time, Albert Reynolds, used the word in an international live broadcast. Since it could not be edited out, it went out, and has since then entered common usage in the newspapers and live media. It and other words are now acceptable in the media in Ireland, the UK and other English-speaking counties. Now I am not sure about its media acceptability in the USA, but since this is an international site with many many non-US members, perhaps you could clarify which version of the English Language we should perfect so as to be fully compliant with your TOS and if this version is any different to the media-acceptable and publicly acceptable language in the USA. Come to think of it you might have to do the same for Mexican and a few other languages as well. On the business of "trials" it has been a long time since I have witnessed anything approaching the "Show Trial" phenomenon common under Stalin and some later Communist leaders who sent so many artists and writers to rot in the Gulags. The last place I expected to see the revival of "Show Trials" was on a USA-based Graphic Arts Internet Site. In fact I doubt if the word trial can be legally applied to the "trial" of Dillinger. As regards Libel, Defamation and Slander I used to deal with this stuff every day and our laws are much tighter than US counterparts. As journalists we often wished we had similar freedoms to our collegues in the USA. But one thing to bear in mind when mulling over this stuff is that every such case is a grey area when it comes to the law and there is often the defence of "Fair Comment". If you want my opinion (which you probably don't), reverse the decision on Dillinger, walk away from this farce with some dignity and start over on winning the respect and support of this community. That way you might survive the rocky road that awaits you. STORM