Forum: Vue

Subject: under water lighting

nick1 opened this issue on Mar 23, 2004 ยท 4 posts

nick1 posted Tue, 23 March 2004 at 5:34 PM

Hi All, While doodling with Wings3D and playing FOG, I wanted to do some under water lighting for this shallow( less then 2 feet deep) pool. I could not place the spot lights properly since I forgot to scale the model up in Vue after importing it, so the model was very small in size compare to the size of the spot light symbol. How can you get a realistic effect for under the water like in a pool? Is there a tut on this? I am attaching an image. Please advise. Thanks, Nick

ShadowWind posted Tue, 23 March 2004 at 9:40 PM

This may sound strange, but sometimes your best bet is to put the spotlight above the water (with no volumetrics), rather than underneath it. I used this technique in Bryce to get an underwater lighting effect in this pic that I could find no other solution for. It would probably work the same in Vue. The only catch in your situation is to make sure the spotlight doesn't hit the actual edges of the pool.

Another suggestion might be to use point lights instead of spotlights where half the point light is against the wall under the water plane. This way, it should only light the inside of the pool and not the outside. I've never had much luck in getting spotlights to work well in these situations.

ShadowWind

nick1 posted Fri, 26 March 2004 at 1:07 AM

Thanks S, we'll try that too. Nick

Zicculus posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 5:38 PM

Hey all, I noticed after a recent update to Vue my Poser Imports weren't working. Parts of the characters were invisible. So I reinstalled Vue and this time after the update when Vue asked where my Poser.exe was I pointed to Poser 5 instead of Poser 4 like I usually do. Now the imports work correctly. Most of my poser files are in Poser4 but I use Poser5 to create and I think this might have caused the problem. Now cloth dynamics and hair both work in Vue and things are much better. I still think that the $400 upgrade to Vue4pro was not worth it. I wish Vue4 had upgraded the renderer so the blurs would look half-way decent instead of giving it to Vue4pro and making it a $400 upgrade to a $176 program.