Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: Another newbie needs help!

korn313 opened this issue on Mar 28, 2004 ยท 9 posts

korn313 posted Sun, 28 March 2004 at 4:14 PM

Whats up people? Ive read a few posts here from newbies like myself who have no clue as to where to start, but the answers Im looking for werent there. Ive been fascinate by 3D modeling and digital art for some time and being a CAD designer I thought that it would be something I could just jump in to, but I realized rather quickly that I was very wrong! Ive been toying with Poser 5 and Bryce for a while, but I cant really do anything other than use the pre made features those packages offer. My plan is to begin with basic 3D modeling. From there Id like to move on to texture mapping and then eventually animation. Most of the software Ive seen seems too advanced for a novice or to reliant on pre-deigned features that could cause some gaps in my knowledge. My questions are: 1. Whats a good software package to start with? (Something that can help me to learn the principles of modeling) 2. Where might I find some good beginners tutorials for modeling? Many of the websites Ive looked at seem more geared toward advanced modelers. Any other advice, tips, or pointers would be vastly appreciated! Thanks guys!

nomuse posted Sun, 28 March 2004 at 4:30 PM

Wings. It echoes many of the basic functions and some of the layout of the big boys, but it is free. And unlike some free modellers, exists on three major platforms (Win, OS-X, linux). One advantage to getting into a commercial ap is that there will be tutorials on the disk and in the manual. Cinema4D comes to mind here; excellent walk-through tutorial set on the CD. Otherwise, my suggestion would be to bypass the web-based tutes for now, as excellent as many of them are, and get a couple books on basic 3D (or get into a class). I rather enjoyed Craig Lyn's "Mac 3d Handbook" when I was branching out of Bryce -- it is a good overview of 3D but rather thin on modelling techniques. Anyhow, check your local book barn and see what you can find.

Teyon posted Sun, 28 March 2004 at 4:56 PM

I'd have to say WINGS is a great way to go. Once you get into it, it's really very simple to use.

Moebius87 posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 8:47 AM

Coming from a CAD background, you might want to download the demos of 3DStudio MAX. I know that it's a real hefty investment, but it might be the most familiar interface... plus it's got one of the very best integrations with AutoCAD. Actually, you might want to download all the demos! :o) Cheers! M

Mind Over Matter
"If you don't mind, then it don't matter."

Ric_535 posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 10:35 AM

Attached Link: http://www.nevercenter.com

Silo - trust me soon everybody will have heard of it And 1.2 is out today!!!!!!!!!!!

pakled posted Mon, 29 March 2004 at 11:01 AM

Attached Link: http://www.wings3d.com

Wings is free, fairly easy, and has a forum here if you have questions. You can do some interesting stuff with it, try all the programs up at the top of the screen, see what you like.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

bonestructure posted Wed, 31 March 2004 at 9:12 AM

I have to concur with the suggestion of Wings3D. And you can move the models into Bryce for rendering etc.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

manleystanley posted Thu, 01 April 2004 at 8:39 AM

Yep, it's manleystanley so it must be meta. Metasequoia is an excelent beginer program. 2.3 is a better program then the LE but without the export options, LE has several. korn313 go to the Modeling forum and you will find links to Mizno labs to down lode MetaLE as-well-as links to {very} basic tutorials.

airlynx posted Thu, 08 April 2004 at 3:26 PM

I came from a CAD background myself, and still use CAD to export objects into Bryce. I use a 3d CAD system called SolidWorks that my former company used to use. I got them to buy me a home copy so that I could do my work at home. I left the company several years ago, but I still use the program whenever I want a specific model. I know AutoCAD can export as DXF which several 3D packages can recognize. Bryce is what I use for composing scenes, and I just love it.