Forum: Animation

Subject: Good DivX converter?

ockham opened this issue on Mar 30, 2004 ยท 7 posts

ockham posted Tue, 30 March 2004 at 4:11 PM

What's a good free or cheap app that can convert an image sequence (as turned out by Poser, with Image0001.BMP etc) into a usable DivX AVI? It's true that Poser can turn out a DivX directly, but I'd rather start with the sequence, so the render can be stopped and re-started conveniently. Also, Poser's DivX output is inconsistent, sometimes fails.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

PowerRoy posted Wed, 31 March 2004 at 9:24 AM

Attached Link: http://www.gromada.com/VideoMach_dl.html

Hiya Ockham, I haven't actually verified this software myself, but it is mentioned several posts below in the "What will compile TGA files" thread ... I've copied the link from one of those posts to here: http://www.gromada.com/VideoMach_dl.html In the FAQ about this program (on their website), they say it supports BMP format, will convert stills to video, and it seems to support using the DivX codec if you have it installed on your machine. Hope that helps! :-)

ockham posted Wed, 31 March 2004 at 10:42 AM

Thanks, I'll look at it!

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

xantor posted Wed, 31 March 2004 at 11:54 AM

Videomach is good for making divx avis though the mpg output is slow. It can also make mpgs that work in dvd players.

ockham posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 3:26 PM

Following up: I bought Videomach. It works easily and properly! Again, thanks for the tip.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

ockham posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 1:08 PM

Tacking on another note, for the record.... I sort of forgot about Videomach until I had a serious job that nothing else would do. For my anatomy work I needed to edit and slice some odd-format MPGs, which were produced by an MRI scanner. Nothing else would read the files, so I remembered VideoMach. Worked like a charm. While using it, I noticed something that needed a small improvement: the still-capture doesn't have a default filetype, which results in saving a non-existent file if you're not careful. This morning (Sunday!) I emailed the maker; two hours later they responded, saying they understand the question and will fix this in next update. Amazing response.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

xantor posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 4:15 PM

The still picture capture on the older versions didnt have a default filetype either but it saved the screen as a bmp, maybe you did save the screen somewhere and just didnt find it? With virtualdub I had a problem where a few animations were saved with the sound out of synch (they might have been divx) I loaded them into videomach and resaved them and it fixed the sound problem automatically.