Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Shadow problem

LonRanger opened this issue on Apr 02, 2004 ยท 3 posts

LonRanger posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 2:44 AM

I have created a street surface and my model is walking on it and I want her shadow to be cast on the street with a light set to infinite light setting (so it will be like moonlight). But I am not able to cast a shadow on the street with my light set at infinite. What am I doing wrong?

When I create a spotlight and bring it in close to the model, I am able to see a shadow, but using a spot light will be much more difficult to create a moon shadow for a character who is walking along a street. (At least it seems that way to me.)

Thanks.

LR

Treewarden posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 8:11 AM

Well, you can try to increase the shadow map size of the infinite light. If it's set at 256, try 1024 (or bigger) this of course will increase rendering time. Hope this is it.

lesbentley posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 3:17 PM

Do you have 'Casts Shadows' turned on for the light? Do you just have one light in the scene? if there are a lot of lights they could be washing out the shadow. It seems to me that if you have a lot of geometry in the scene this weaknes the shadows, you may need to turn the 'Shadow' strength up in the lights paramiters pallet, in this situation also try un-ticking (U.S. un-checking) 'Casts Shadows' in the properties box of the "Street" and any other items that do not need to cast shadows. Check the view through the shadow cam for the light, if necessary zoom in so that only the objects that actually need to cast shadows are included in the view. Try setting up your light as a spot, then convert it to infinite. If you post your render it may give us a clue to the problem. See the thread below for some more info on shadows: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1724574