Forum: Vue

Subject: Vue 4 Pro upgrade and new link options

satfj opened this issue on Jun 04, 2004 ยท 5 posts

satfj posted Fri, 04 June 2004 at 12:07 PM

I created a 3D Max project (architecture) asigned materials and textures except sky, landscape and atmospheres. I want to do the latter in Vue 4 Pro. Is there a way to link my Max project to Vue? I want to continue to edit my Max model in Max itself. Thanks

rodluc2001 posted Fri, 04 June 2004 at 1:39 PM

my last two models (Castle and cathedral) are made in Max, exported in 3ds e mapped in Vue... if i modify the model in Max and overwrte the 3ds, Vue can automatically reload the new version... maybe this can help you. Luca.

nanotyrannus posted Fri, 04 June 2004 at 1:59 PM

The same method rodluc2001 used is what I've used for my modeling work in Autocad 2002. Vue 4 Pro does not support direct .max files which is why .3ds files are used instead. Hope this helps.

satfj posted Fri, 04 June 2004 at 4:16 PM

Basicly you still have to export/import the old fashion way. The problem is when you map in your Vue model and say you changed your Max model midpoint, when you re-import to Vue you still have to re-map your re-imported geometry correct? I guess I was hoping for some linkage similar to Autocad and 3D Viz.

nanotyrannus posted Fri, 04 June 2004 at 5:49 PM

What happens is you export out of Max to a .3ds file format and import that into Vue. When you make changes to your max file you simply export out again to the same .3ds file you created before and the next time you go into the Vue scene file that you originally imported that .3ds file into it will tell you that the original file has changed and will ask you if you would like to update the model. It will then reimport it with the textures applied to the 3ds file unless you've changed them in Vue, at which point it will ask you for each texture whether you want the texture that was applied to the model in Vue to remain or reassign it using the texture applied to the .3ds model. I think that's exactly what you're looking for.