Forum: Fractals

Subject: Question: Import fractal on layer in UF

vdallas opened this issue on Jun 10, 2004 ยท 6 posts

vdallas posted Thu, 10 June 2004 at 11:56 AM

Is there a way to import a fractal layer into another fractal picture in UF? (I hope that's clear.) In PhotoShop, one can just drag a layer from one picture to another. When I paste a layer of one fractal into another UF simply changes the whole fractal. What am I missing? TIA Vince

kinggoran posted Thu, 10 June 2004 at 3:10 PM

1. Right-click on the layer you wish to copy in the Fractal "Properties"/"Layers" window and select "Copy".
  2. Then click on the target fractal's window so you see that fractal's layers in the "Layers" window.
  3. Right-click again in the "Layers" window (or on an existing layer, doesn't matter) and select "Paste".

I hope that works for you. I'm abit unclear about what you mean by changing the whole fractal.

Message edited on: 06/10/2004 15:12

Layla-Rose posted Thu, 10 June 2004 at 5:10 PM

All i do when i want to put a layer from one fractal onto another, is go to the layer pallette window, highlight the layer i want to use, and drag it onto the fractal i want to use it on. However, depending on the size of the fractal im dragging the layer from, the image may appear differently on the new fractal. For example, if i have zoomed in deeply on one spiral, and then cropped/resized the image dimensions to say 500x500 but then drag a layer of that onto a fractal with the dimensions of 640x480, the layer appears differently as it fills the window to the new dimensions, thus adding more of the original fractal that was there before i cropped it. I really hope this makes sense to you LOL It might not, but i know what i mean, its just hard to explain.

sofie-filo posted Sat, 12 June 2004 at 5:27 PM

Open UF>>Help>>layers>copying. Otherwise do the inbuilt tutorial named: Working with layers. Otherwise,join the UF-list and many people are willing to help you with sample UPR's. Succes!

Rykk posted Tue, 15 June 2004 at 11:10 PM

Your message sounds, to me, like your problem isn't that you don't know how to paste a layer from one image to another in UF, but that it "changes the whole fractal". If I've understood right, then what you are seeing sounds like its due to the fractal properties "Merge Mode". Its the little drop down window in the upper left corner of the Fractal Properties, Layers window just above the layer stack-up. If the layer you copied was "Normal" merge mode, then when you paste it atop the layer stack of the second image it will be the only layer showing, as with "Normal" merge mode, none of the layers below it are visible or able to interact/merge with the new layer. Its 100% opaque. Try changing the merge mode of the layer you pasted and see if you can now see the one(s) below it. "Lighten" merge mode will let the layers under show without their colors being changed and the shapes in the new layer will look superimposed on top of the lower one(s). "Screen" does the same, but lightens and washes the colors out a lot and maybe you'd want to lower the opacity of the layer with the layer opacity slider just to the right of the merge pull down. Try all the merge modes - after a while you'll learn and know roughly what each of them does and be able to use them to great advantage in coloring your fractals. Rick

vdallas posted Wed, 16 June 2004 at 9:49 AM

Thanks for all your help. I got it figured out. Ain't UF a great program?!?