Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Bumps again. Help

Dwight Yorke opened this issue on Oct 20, 2000 ยท 4 posts

Dwight Yorke posted Fri, 20 October 2000 at 6:17 AM

Right first off does anyone know urls for good Bump tutorials which concentrate on the skin. And ive read about people adding noise to the skin to give the Pour affect. What Ammount do you use and what type Uniform, Gausion. Thanks.

jnmoore posted Fri, 20 October 2000 at 8:08 AM

Dwight: If you're using PhotoShop, you might try the Grain filter (Filters -> Texture -> Grain) instead of using the noise filter. The amount is something you will need to experiment with, but I use small amounts to keep the effect believable. When you add the grain to your bump map, also add it to your texture map (after first masking out all items you don't want affected (ie the eyes). Now here's the trick to making the texture map look great -- After you've added the grain you will notice that the filter has used slightly different colors which have been derived from the colors present in your texture. Run the Despeckle Filter (Filters -> Noise -> Despeckle) to smooth out the grain and blend it into the skin and you will achieve that slightly mottled look that real skin has. If it looks to mottled, go back and use less grain until it looks right. Now add the same amount of grain you just used on the texture map to the bump map and this time, don't run the despeckle filter. If the grain raises the effect to high on your bump map, go back into Photo Shop and run the Gausian Blur Filter at a low setting (.3 or .4 pixels) to smooth it out a little. Hope this helps you out.... Jim

jnmoore posted Fri, 20 October 2000 at 8:11 AM

PS The reason I didn't give you any settings is twofold. First, the amount you need will vary with the color of the skin texture. Second, it's been so long since I did this to my own textures that I've forgotten the setings I used (sorry). Make sure you do your experimenting on a copy of your original maps -- just in case :o) Jim

Dwight Yorke posted Fri, 20 October 2000 at 8:59 AM

Thanks ill try that.