Forum: Vue

Subject: Importing to Vue 4 Pro

satfj opened this issue on Jul 05, 2004 ยท 11 posts

satfj posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 10:20 AM

This question has probably been asked before, but how do you import Max models complete with textures and maps into Vue 4 Pro?I heard that I need a plug in so I got one from habware, (that is the OBJ exporter) but the mesh didn't import with the texture maps! Also it created an OBJ material library but how do I import it into Vue?. Thanks

wabe posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 10:26 AM

I think Max is more or less a dead end. But have you tried to export the model as 3DS? That can work.

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

satfj posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 11:24 AM

Yes but you loose a lot of info when exporting as a 3DS file from Max. If Max is a dead end which program is a good one for modeling and exporting to Vue? Since Vue does not have much in the form of modeling tools. Thanks

wabe posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 11:39 AM

Oh, difficult question. I think in all convertions (export/import) you lose something. Nearly every program has its unique features that the others can handle. Thats life. And regarding modeling programs. Hard to say. Depends what money you want to spend, what features you need, wether you like the user interface or not, etc etc. I like to do things in Cinema, combined with the free version of Amapi from time to time. Others love Wings3d, others Truespace or others. Everybody must find this out by themselves. A lot do have demo versions. This can help a lot.

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

forester posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 12:46 PM

satfj, I use MAX and it is no "dead end" as far as a modelling tool goes. But I also purchased a copy of Deep Exploration, as I also am a committed Truespace modeler, and my partners work with Cinema4d and Lightwave, and our Japanese partners work with more things yet. So, I needed a good file format translation program. Deep Exploration would cost you about $180 USD, unless you are a student ($55), but it could be the best money you have spent in a long while. It allows you to capitalize on all your software. If you have Deep Exploration, you can take you MAX files and pretty much turn them into any other file format. For Vue, I have found that using Deep Exploration to make my MAX files into 3ds files is really the way to go - most of the time. However, it turns out a nice Obj file also. Apparently, the MAX 3ds file exporter is "peculiar", as are many of the other programs which supposedly generate a 3ds file. The resulting files are sometimes pretty flaky. But Deep Exploration fixes all the problems and turns out a very nice 3ds file. In fact, when I'm having problems with just a single file component, I often pass it through Deep Exploration to create the 3ds equivalent, and my problem are solved. I'd hate to see someone who has invested in MAX give it up, as it is one of the best programs around. But if you are making a lot of your own models, especially for Vue, you'll find Deep Exploration to be the best investment you can make.

forester posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 12:49 PM

In fact, if you want to try it, e-mail me a copy of one of your MAX models, and I'll convert it to both 3ds and obj formats for you. You can pop those into Vue and see what you think. mail to sprucefir@earthlink.net But, don't give up on your MAX. wabe probably meant only that MAX is a "dead end" in terms of direct imports for Vue.

satfj posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 2:19 PM

Thanks for the advice is there a trial version of Deep Exploration available? I tried exporting as 3DS and OBJ files into Vue but always loose a lot of modeling and/or mat/mapping features.

forester posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 2:32 PM

Indeed, there is. 30-day free trial with no restrictions. Go here http://www.righthemisphere.com/

kongorilla posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 2:49 PM

Satfj, I don't mean to be rude, but this is the third time you've started this thread.

I've given you my answer twice, in 2 different formats, and the methods I use work for me. No plug-ins needed. It just takes a little preparation before exporting from Max.

You've never said you've tried my advice and it failed, or what part confused you. If you tell me what's confusing you, we can take it from there. Otherwise, I can't help you.

I've gotten countless models, including very complex multi-object scenes, from Max into Vue with no problems at all, apart from Vue not always showing the bump maps correctly (they sometimes bump the wrong direction). So, I don't know why you keep asking this question when you have a working answer.

steve (kongorilla)

satfj posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 4:19 PM

Steve, I have tried your method but it seems very time consuming and cumbersome, do to the fact that I usually have very large architectural models. I will try the Deep Exploration route and see what happens. I will let you know. Thanks very much for the answers though.

kongorilla posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 5:11 PM

Okay.

Just so you know, the essential problem is that the .3ds format is much older than Max, so it doesn't support all the features of Max objects. The Max's export filter tries to translate those features into a standard .3ds file, but not all apps like Max's solutions. And .3ds files come from the DOS era, so your files have to be DOS compliant.

So, if you know you're going export using 3ds files, you should make your models .3ds compliant before exporting. That is, made of only polygons, eight character names, no procedural anything, etc.

Sometimes you can break the rules and get away with it, but it's usually easier just to do it the right way.

steve (kongorilla)