Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Thoughts on "The Dress"...

soulhuntre opened this issue on Jul 12, 2004 ยท 23 posts

soulhuntre posted Mon, 12 July 2004 at 4:02 PM

Hey all :)

Congratulations! It looks like Daz has a real winner with The Dress and I am happy so many people are happy. It also speaks well of the talent that went into it's construction that it approximates with 'old' technology what is usually achieved with simulations.

However the recent "online" polls have shown a large percentage of the Poser community is using P5... and a product like The Dress is exactly the sort of thing that dynamic cloth simulations are good for in a extremely straight forward way.

The dress is, itself, a pretty simple mesh. The value of the product comes from the extrodinary effort that has gone into the morphs. Effort I applaud, and effort that honestly seems to me a attempt to duplicate something the software many of us use has built in.

A dynamic version of The Dress would have eliminated the need for all those morphs, would fit every character (within reason) and always pose and fold correctly. The cloth could be varied from leather to spandex easily and custom body morphs would not result in poke through. The train would flow correctly every frame of an animation.

I guess my dissapointment is that this style of clothing would have been the >perfect< vehicle to bring the majority of the Poser users a good look at the benefits of a good dynamic outfit.

This is not to take anythign away fromt he triumph that is "The Dress", but the very excitement over it (a piece of flowing clothing that can finally attempt to move with the figure underneath) seems to be a indication that it is time to move away from conforming clothing.

Anyway, just my thoughts :)