Forum: MarketPlace Showcase

Subject: "Woodsy" Dining set WIP

SnowFox102 opened this issue on Aug 09, 2004 · 21 posts

SnowFox102 posted Mon, 09 August 2004 at 3:07 PM

I couldn't sleep last night so I started on this "cabin in the woods" table set in Wings. No texture for it yet, I just slapped some Bryce presets on it for a test render. But I wanted to know what y'all think of it so far ;) What other peices does it need? Would anyone want it? Freestuff or marketplace?

Realmling posted Mon, 09 August 2004 at 4:20 PM

Ohhh...That looks so cool!! I'd want it, even if I had to save my little pennies up for it. =)

Crazy alien chick FTW! (yeah....right....)

Realm of Savage - Poser goodies and so much more!

~~

beachnut posted Mon, 09 August 2004 at 5:10 PM

It looks great! :)

SnowFox102 posted Mon, 09 August 2004 at 5:20 PM

Thanks! Normally I'd put my stuff in freestuff, but I'm trying to save up for Poser 5 (I only have 3 right now) so I've been doing everything I can think of to earn money ;) There aren't any jobs for me around here :/ Anywho, any other peices that I should add? I would have made a tablecloth but I haven't the faintest idea of how to do that. I thought of making a pitcher, and maybe some food too. I made this set as a kind of fantasy thing, like a table you'd find in a troll's house or something. ;) I was kind of thinking of Shrek's house. Maybe I should make some rat kabobs and eyeball soup? lol

pakled posted Mon, 09 August 2004 at 5:58 PM

maybe some cross-bracing on the leg..or you can just move it on the long axis and create one of them mead-hall-type tables..(you know, the ones the knights dance to 'camelot' in Monty Python and the Holy Grail..;) looks like you're getting Wings down just fine..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

SnowFox102 posted Mon, 09 August 2004 at 6:26 PM

Cross bracing? Like, boards between the legs? Be more specific I'm sleepy lol Hm, I gotta go re-watch Monty Python and teh Holy Grail. I haven't yet used refference pics for Wings models, I haven't had any lol

Realmling posted Mon, 09 August 2004 at 8:33 PM

Ohh...icky gooy slimy food stuffs sound like fun. =) Perhaps a breadboard/serving platter type thing?

~~

pakled posted Mon, 09 August 2004 at 9:19 PM

just a board nailed across the legs..or not..depends on how primitive you want to be..don't worry, all I remember of the song is 'I get to push the pram a lot..;)'
once you start making models in Wings, there's no turning back..first it's primitives tweaked a bit, then more complex models, then castles, instruments, and before you know it, you start making characters, clothes, props, etc..that way lies madness..or maybe pocket change..depending..;)

SnowFox102 posted Mon, 09 August 2004 at 10:03 PM

It is supposed to be fairly primitive. I had in mind critters like trolls and ogres as the builders/users of this stuff, and figured their tools wouldn't be that artsy. ;) BTW, have you ever seen the Lego version of the Knights of th Round Table song? Dun dundun dun! We're knights of the round table! We dance when e're we're able We do routines and chorus scenes With footwork im-pec-able! We dine well here in Camelot We eat ham and jam and Spam a lot!

SnowFox102 posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 1:02 AM

Bored and sleepless again, I added a serving plater thing, and "soup" and "drink" objects to the set. I made sperate bowl and glass objects for the "full" versions because it's a pain to try and align them, so instead there's two versions, full and empty. The "soup" object is a "whole" object so a transparent texture can be applied to it. The same is true of the "drink", though I used a different method to make it. It's exactly the size of the inside of the cup, so the cup can have a transparent texture applied to it without the drink "leaking" into the cup itself. Right now the bowl would look weird rendered in glass, as the "soup" object intrudes into the bowl. I think I know a way to make an "exact size" soup object though, so a glass bowl can work too.

SnowFox102 posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 1:27 AM

Hm, for some reason, when the cup is rendered in Bryce 3, the cup itself disapears where the liquid is, and the liquid gets pixelated o_O And the soup needs more than one face on its surface methinks ;)

SnowFox102 posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 2:44 AM

Looks appetizing don't it? ;P The weird colored parts are there to make UV mapping easier on myself. Note the roach kabobs there XD

TrekkieGrrrl posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 3:52 AM

Looks like a good start. The legs are too cylindrical at the moment, they need to have a more chopped/gnarled look. IMO the vertical parts of the back on the chair are too thick, like the legs just goes on and up. It may be what you're aiming for though :o) Perhaps also make the boards on the table more rough. I don't know wings, in Max I would add a noise modifier to it. I really like your roach kebab :o) Make more strange/icky food and it might be a selling parameter. There are lots of similar free furniture around, so you got to find something special in order to sell it. The strange food just migh be IT! :o) Good luck with it, wether it's for sale or free.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Realmling posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 7:29 AM

Looking better each time. And love the roach kebab. =)

~~

pakled posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 12:41 PM

you can just drag the cursor over the legs in Wings, cut..oh..3-5 times (or to taste), then switch to face mode and drag over them again, universal scale up or down each section, as needed..just an idea..or if you get really ambitious, a boar's head with an apple on a plate....;)

wheatpenny posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 3:16 PM Site Admin

I would suggest maybe a bed and a small square table (to put the candle on) to go with it and maybe a bench and a stool (IOW a complete set you can use to furnish a cabin)

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

SnowFox102 posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 3:24 PM

Takes notes Ok I can do a bed and nightstand, and I have a couple ideas for more food evil grin

SeanMartin posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 6:16 PM

If you're looking for a roughhewn look, then certainly revisit the edges of the planks making the tabletop: they're all rigidly even, and I doubt ogres have access to table saws. :)

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

hauksdottir posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 5:38 AM

commercial... or freestuff? This is sounding like a Marketplace set, so I may have to move the thread. Carolly Poser Coordinator

SnowFox102 posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 9:39 AM

When I started I wasn't sure which way it would go, but now I'm hoping it will be good enough for the Marketplace. If you feel this belongs elsewhere, then by all means move it. I'm still a bit new here and not always sure where my topics should go ;)

hauksdottir posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 3:39 PM

OK, I'll slip it over to Product Showcase... because I do think that is where it is headed anyway. ;^) I agree about the strange/wierd/icky foodstuffs. Besides ogres' houses, witches have kitchens, and there is always Hallowe'en and haunted houses and the horror genre. If you go for straight woodsy, you might need quilts and braided rugs... handbuilt homes are often drafty. A coal scuttle or poker and tongs are useful accessories for a fireplace. Carolly