Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Another Tip That MIGHT Make Poser LOAD Much Faster!

Veritas777 opened this issue on Aug 16, 2004 ยท 43 posts

Veritas777 posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 12:07 AM

Swamps tip is excellent and shows how OLD code can really slow down a modern machine. Here's one I've tried ONLY with Pro-Pack on an XP machine (SP1) and a Win2K (SP4) machine- but it has made Poser Pro-Pack LOAD (from click to ready workspace) about 90% faster. I discovered it only just a few days ago and had wondered WHY- when Swamp's post made me realize now it must be another issue of MODERN code versus ANCIENT code... So here it is- I FRESH installed (nothing had been on my machine for about 3 months) the latest release of DAZ STUDIO. Upon installation I allowed it to run off an immediately search my RUNTIME folders to locate Poser files. It rapidly zipped through my very large RUNTIME- and after playing with DS a little, I went back and loaded Pro-Pack again. Pro-Pack stunned me by loading almost INSTANTLY. O.K.- so I did the same thing the next day on my older machine and the same thing happened- about a 90% increase Pro-Pack loading speed. This effect has been repeatable during the following days- WITHOUT having to load Daz Studio first. My THEORY about this is that DAZ STUDIO uses a modern machine search method that apparently REGISTERS someplace the list of where all the Poser Library info is and that my MODERN OS's use this reference when I click on Pro-Pack. Obviously older Poser code never thought of using modern NT processing methods- so DAZ STUDIO, being Poser File Friendly somehow HELPS Poser (or more likely my OS) find where everything is in my RUNTIME. Haven't tried this with Poser 5, and don't know WHAT might happen on a MAC- but it seems to work really well on XP and Win2K. BTW- This is NOT an Evil DAZ PLOT! Your OWN Mileage may VARY. But it seems to really work for me.