Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Parenting a prop

Elsina opened this issue on Sep 09, 2004 ยท 11 posts

Elsina posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 5:06 AM

We justed started animations, are totally newbies and I have a problem with it. There is this guy holding a rifle with two hands. The rifle is smart propped to his right hand. In the image we posed him holding the rifle with both hands and all is fine. In walkdesigner however the rifle is only in one hand as the guy is running and the animation therefore doesn't run smooth. My question is can a prop be parented two both hands? How do I solve this? Thanks for any tips.

My gallery @ Renderosity

ynsaen posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 5:12 AM

Parent the free hand to the Rifle, the rifle to the holding hand.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Elsina posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 11:29 AM

Thanks for your reply. We tried that and this is what is happening. Surely something is wrong :-).

My gallery @ Renderosity

Replicant posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 12:38 PM

Something sure is. You need to switch off IK for his left hand.

Expert in computer code including, but not limited to, BTW; IIRC; IMHO; LMAO; BRB; OIC; ROFL; TTYL. Black belt in Google-fu.

lesbentley posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 1:40 PM

Creations, not sure what is causing the problem (has the gun been scaled?), but try this, instead of parenting the left hand to the gun parent the left hand to the right hand, as the gun moves with the right hand, parenting the left hand to the right should be visually equivalent to parenting it to the gun, and may avoid the problem. Replicant, parenting a hand will not work unless IK is turned on for that arm.

Anthony Appleyard posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 4:56 PM

Switch IK on for the arm. Select that arm's hand. Call menu Object, Change parent. That will change the hand's IK-parent.

Anthony Appleyard posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 5:04 PM

By default his hands and feet are IK-parented to his BODY. If his left arm's IK is set on, and if his left hand is IK_parented to his BODY, and if the walk designer moves him by moving his hip and not by moving his BODY, rhen his BODY stays still as his hip enc move, and therefore his elft hand stays with his BODY. The BODY is an invisible body part which is the parent of his root segment . A human's root segment is his hip.

omega posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 7:30 PM

set up your starting pose and parent gun to figure "body" turn on figure IK for arms parent figure hands ( left and right) to gun apply animation. the gun will move with the body and if the body is not animated then it will be necessary to move the gun with the forward motion of the figure

Tunesy posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 9:09 PM

Try Replicants idea first, before overcomplicating things: "switch off IK for his left hand". If that doesn't do it then try the others, although I think his will work.

Anthony Appleyard posted Fri, 10 September 2004 at 1:47 AM

If you parent the gun to his BODY, and if the walk designer moves him by moving his hip, then the gun will stay still as he moves. I always parent guns to the man's chest. The gun looks like an AK47. Where can I get the model of it?

Elsina posted Fri, 10 September 2004 at 5:35 AM

Attached Link: http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/weapons.asp

Thank you all. The file is at our office computer so after the weekend I will try out your tips. I will let you know! Anthony, yes it is a AK-47. There is one at Renderosity freestuff, but this one is from 3D cafe.

My gallery @ Renderosity