Forum: Carrara

Subject: Me110 - WIP

Nazgul opened this issue on Nov 15, 2000 ยท 6 posts

Nazgul posted Wed, 15 November 2000 at 12:38 PM

Here's another project. It's a me110 german night fighter/attack bomber, landing gear and all. I still need to work on a WWII pilot for this and do the cocpit controls and a few other things. I think it's coming out ok. The "blur" of the propeller is a transparency map I made. I could never figure out RDS's motion blur, I think this looks better anyway. All objects modelled in the vertex modeller working from primatives and then moving points around. It takes days and is very tedious. A tip to everyone... booleens, just don't do um, you'll sit there cleaning them up for hours! Plus, work from halves and weld them into one object at the end, simple tip but always missed. Rendered and modelled in RDS.

ClintH posted Wed, 15 November 2000 at 4:16 PM

Excellent work. Great modeling and wonderful texturing! Thanks for posting your work. Take Care, Clint

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

willf posted Wed, 15 November 2000 at 10:18 PM

Looks fantastic, nice work. I think you made a good choice on the Transparency map for the propellers, it works well.

graylensman posted Thu, 16 November 2000 at 7:44 AM

AH HA!!! That's what I want tips on. Or rather, more detailed instructions: your texture map for the markings and all. The model looks great. Did you work from ME 110 plans or photos? I have never worked in the vertex modeller. Started in on the tutorials, but had little patience for it at the time. (So sue me.) Began with RDS at my job, and the stuff I modeled was all straight extrusion stuff in the free form modeler. So, the stuff i've done for my own grins has been modeled with those kinds of objects.

Nazgul posted Thu, 16 November 2000 at 9:04 AM

Texture maps make the model. I worked from plans and photos, the problem is that you have to eyeball the thing b/c you can't load an image into the modeller in RDS. The vertex modeller is key for getting detail. I usually start out in the freeform modeller and get the spline shape curves, just to get the shape, then I import the object into the vertex modeller and start lathing or extruding. I really like the free form modeller, you can get some great shapes really quick but try converting it into the vertex modeller, and WHAM, you get some really crappy stuff. Duplicate vertices all over the place - you spend a lot of time just cleaning the thing up, and if it is a complex shape you can spend a whole afternoon just getting the mesh corrected. If Carrara survives, they have to fix this problem! Carrara and RDS are plagued by poor modelling tools period. I think that it really hurts an otherwise laudable program. I'm always looking for a suplimentary modeller to use with Carrara, but $'s a problem. Next time I make something I'll put together a tutorial, I just didn't make any shots of the modelling process with this one.

AzChip posted Mon, 20 November 2000 at 10:11 AM

Great solution for a sucky motion blur feature in RDS. I've given up on using RDS's motion blur -- for animations I'm just rendering individual elements and blurring them in AfterEffects during compositing. But I love the blur on the propellors. Excellent modeling and mapping, too. (I agree with you about mapping making the models.)