Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Looking for an m-16 assult rifle

A_ opened this issue on Sep 11, 2004 · 44 posts

A_ posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 5:33 AM

I searched in the forum and found that there was one in free stuff a long time ago.. but I can't find it now. anyone knows where I can find one? (or at least something that looks almost the same.. it doesn't have to be very detailed, just something that looks like m-16).

Philywebrider posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 6:04 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/freestuff.ez

See if this version is OK. :O)

A_ posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 6:13 AM

hmm.. sorry, but your link brings me to the front page of the free stuff.. nothing specific..

AntoniaTiger posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 6:14 AM

Philywebrider, that link just goes to the opening freestuff page, nothing more specific. A search using "carbine" will bring up PhilC's M4A1 carbine, which I understand is current issue, and a very nice model. If you were meaning something else, detail would be appreciated. DAZ3D are doing a modern uniforms pack in their sale, according the the email I just got.

Philywebrider posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 6:24 AM

Sorry...Go to freestuff and do a search for "colt".

Philywebrider posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 6:39 AM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=8327

Here is a set of four different versions.

AntoniaTiger posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 6:56 AM

I did that search on "colt", and the model which came up is a Colt Commando in 3DS Max format I may be missing something, but I've never been able to figure how to import that file-type into Poser 5.

Philywebrider posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 7:07 AM

Wish I could help but I have Poser4Propack, I'm not familiar with Poser 5...sorry.

A_ posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 7:40 AM

thanks, both these models (PhilC's and the colt) look like what I'm looking for. :) and I'm using Poser4, so I can import 3ds to my scene. thanks!

AntoniaTiger posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 7:53 AM

It's the actual .max file format that's the problem. Poser 5 will import the .3ds format, but only 3DS Max can read the .max files it creates. It turns out I was mistaken about the Colt Commando, which is in .3ds format. A lot of stuff on other sites in in .max format. Sorry if I misled anyone about that item.

jarhead999 posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 10:05 AM

Howdy, Hmm, all those models I looked at were of M4's. It's pretty much the same weapon as a M16A2 but with an abridged barrel and a collapsable buttstock. From my understanding is the Army uses the M4, and probably so do the special ops. The current issued weapon for the Marine enlisted is the M16A2 still. If you REALLY need the M16A2 I'll maybe take a shot at modeling it. I'd have to go off of memory because I don't think the armory would let me take it back to the barracks for the weekend, that's a good thing too =P. But if you're going for just your basic troop scene, the M4 will do. But if you want to make them good scenes cough Marines cough you'd want to go with the M16. If you need anymore help just let me know. Thanks

AntoniaTiger posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 10:42 AM

I'd welcome a decent M16 myself, A1 or A2 versions. I vaguely recall that the both have the same fixed butt, and the A2 had a heavier barrel, but I don't know if they had the same fore-end moulding.

pakled posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 10:52 AM

I remember someone posting an M16..mainly because the file size was about 16 meg..I used to think that was big..;) Questor did a lot of guns on his site, and Maskdamask (Mascara del Poser) also had a lot of hardware..worth a look, I 'spose.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

A_ posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 12:12 PM

jarhead999- thanks, no need to model m-16 for me (unless you want to do it regardless, lol). I'll do fine with the m-4 that I can find. they do look pretty much the same,and I'm going to use it where it won't even be extremely visibal (hung on a soldier's shoulder). if you know of a weapon-band (don't know if it's the right term) so that M3 can hang the m-4 on his shoulder,that would be very cool. pakled - where can I find these sites you mentioned? thank you all. :)

pakled posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 1:49 PM

Hmm..they tend to disappear and reappear with apparent abandon..:| Check freebies, I know Mascara and Questor used to plug stuff in there..do a search on author, and try Questor, and Maskda Mask (not sure of how the 2nd one is parsed). I can check when I get home for something along these lines..
The weapon band is called a sling, or used to be back in the day.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Veritas777 posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 2:34 PM

Available now at DAZ Free Stuff. Also the new Camo uniforms came out yesterday, and include an M-16 Assult Rifle.

Veritas777 posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 2:42 PM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=17177

Does a really good job in classing-up your Terrorist fighting soldiers! (It's my favorite!)

Veritas777 posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 2:49 PM

Attached Link: http://www.philc.net/freestuff_archive.htm

PhilC's Free M-16 is here...

Veritas777 posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 3:01 PM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=8327

Or get TACTICAL with Mertext's Tactical M-16 Set...

AntoniaTiger posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 3:07 PM

The only one of those DAZ soldiers with a convincing face is the Freak, and I'm not convinced by the rest of him... David and Mike make it look like the US Army are recruiting from the Elves.

Veritas777 posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 3:48 PM

Heh- It FITS the general market I suppose. The last good male character (other than Mr. F) was M2! However, there is a tutorial around to put F's head on M3's body. Some people over at the DAZ Forum are WHINNING that DAZ is calling these new Camo Uniform Sets "Defender's of Freedom" (in their newsletter apparently) because it will OFFEND other people in the world, especially TERRORISTS, who probably will be the most offended! How Politically INCORRECT that DAZ might offend TERRORISTS who kill thousands with hi-jacked planes or murder Russian school children.

Veritas777 posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 3:56 PM

BTW- you CAN also put M2's head on M3's body as another alternative. It's pretty easy actually...

SamTherapy posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 4:04 PM

"BTW- you CAN also put M2's head on M3's body as another alternative. It's pretty easy actually... " If anyone can tell me (a non-modeller) how to put M2's head on David's body I'd be very grateful.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Veritas777 posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 5:25 PM

Attached Link: http://www.fallencity.net/tut-posa/poptop1.php

I think that Crescent's tutorial should work. It's for putting Anime Doll's head on M3's body, but the steps are the same for M2's head. There were other tutorials around for putting F's head on M3, but can't find them right now- but I've already done it. Plus transfering F head morphs to M3's head...

Veritas777 posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 5:31 PM

Attached Link: http://mdp.s18.xrea.com/support/supportmenu.htm

MDP (Mask-da here at the REN Store) used to have EXCELLENT free M-16 Assult rifle variants (grenade launchers, scopes, etc.) but they have all disappeared from his Free Stuff. His work is highly detailed and unbelievable that they were once free. He doesn't even sell them now... But you can still get FREE Pistol and M-16 poses for V3 and M3 from his website.

linnymac posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 6:10 PM

Wow....I need this stuff for the veterans archive project. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread.

Veritas777 posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 6:12 PM

Search for "iamonk" in Free Stuff and you can find the Freak for M3 by iamonk. At the moment the link isn't working so you may need to email or IM him about it if you want that character (requires owning both M3 and the Freak).

SamTherapy posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 7:03 PM

Thanks, Veritas.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Veritas777 posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 7:28 PM

Attached Link: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=79603#79603

Anyone interested in this topic might want to check out this thread on accurate Desert Soldier uniforms (and the need for them- plus for V3 and SP).

estherau posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 8:54 PM

what are the Xs for on the front of the DAZ desert set uniforms? Is that the target that the opposition have to aim for? Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Veritas777 posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 9:31 PM

Attached Link: http://www.echobasetoys.com/PageOther12/PageToySoldierGear.htm

Well there has been some discussion about the accuracy of the DAZ Desert Soldier set. It's nice that they are available, but their accuracy and detail are somewhat questionable. See DAZ thread link for details...

An incredibly good reference link did get posted there- to a website that sells soldier models that are really OUTSTANDING in their details. They appear to be made in either Japan or Taiwan by some very talented artists who understand accuracy and details.

Veritas777 posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 9:38 PM

BTW Esther, the "X" is actually a velcro patch area- where solders can apply a full color US Flag or other insignia. But in combat these are "ripped off" and stuffed in pockets. This is also the case with combat pilots who "rip-off" their unit patches, and perhaps rank, in case they might get captured.

Veritas777 posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 11:52 PM

S.W.A.T. A Complete 15-piece Outfit Set

Search for "SWAT" in Renderosity Free Stuff

By: Baron_Vlad_Harkonnen

Sep 8, 2003
PC/Mac 9358 downloads

Veritas777 posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 11:53 PM

And here's ALSO what you get for FREE...

Tyger_purr posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 10:38 AM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=10220

its not free but it's really an M16

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

wheatpenny posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 1:23 PM Site Admin

Those daz figures look like those GI-Joe dolls from the 60s

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

nomuse posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 1:24 PM

Yes. The BLA model actually looks like an M16A2. All the others had shorty barrels, and/or inaccurate flash supressors. There are also some odd versions of the classic forestock -- even this one is not QUITE the smooth triangular cross-section of the original issue M16A2; it seems to have ribs borrowed from the M203, and is notably shorter than the true infantry-man's version of the weapon, leading me to expect this is actually an M203 with the grenade launcher removed. And of course would be inappropriate for Vietnam scenes, aka the M16A1; differences in the upper reciever aren't so glaring, but the primary visual aspect is the open, "twig-catcher" flash suppressor on the old M16. And I hate to pick nits, but the 30-rd. magazine has a gentle curve, not a sharp bend.

Veritas777 posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 1:44 PM

Actually most M-16's used in Vietnam had a STRAIGHT magazine, not curved. The curved style magazine came late, somewhere in the early 70's. Some may have showed up in Vietnam before the U.S. troops left, however. You will often see U.S. Troops in 'Nam with two straight magazines taped together- one magazine pointed down. This was to allow a quick magazine release and flip-over to the second clip.

nomuse posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 1:52 PM

Heck, we did that with the curved ones too. When they let us! Training only, mind you. I've never heard a shot fired in anger (the marines that shot at us at Camp Roberts were in a good mood).

The curved magazines didn't function well at all in Vietnam. Follower got rusty, plus the ammo itself got all cruddy and the more that was in there, the worse. For that matter, it's considered wise in most of those long magazines NOT to charge them fully (spring gets weak, then you got mis-feeds). Nor did the whole Mattel-toy function well, which is why the foreward assist got added (among other changes.) Late in the day (80's, for me) you get more changes for such niceities as left-handed shooters (gotten a burn myself from ejected cases).

But the triangular forestock and long barrel jump out to anyone who has carried a '16 in peacetime or in war. It just ain't the same beast without those details. And you can see that open flash supressor in many of the pics and many good movies, as well (including, of course, ones that should have had the newer one...)

Message edited on: 09/12/2004 13:54

Veritas777 posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 3:27 PM

Attached Link: http://www.wordiq.com/definition/M16A1

M-16 showing the later model 30 round clip. I doubt you will find any 'Nam photos with soldiers with these clips. Maybe some Rangers or Green Beret's had them, but not regular troops.

I was in the Army in 1970-71 and trained with the original M-16, which had the straight clip. Got an Expert rifleman badge- due probably to the fact that I had also had NRA training while a Boy Scout a decade earlier. Learned breath control and how to mentally think where the round should go... but never fired a shot in anger either as the Vietnam War was ending as I was in advanced training.

Apparently troops in Iraq STILL tape their clips together, even though they aren't supposed to officially.

Veritas777 posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 3:32 PM

Attached Link: http://www.wordiq.com/definition/M4_Carbine

Here's the newer M4 Carbine, which is what many Iraq soldiers are using, plus many SWAT outfits. M4 doesn't have the range of the longer barrel M-16 series, but since most combat now is Urban Warfare, that's not a big problem. Plus Army and Marines make much greater use of special sniper teams when they need the "long shot" capability.

Veritas777 posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 3:34 PM

Attached Link: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m16-pics.htm

Global Security (always a good website for military stuff) shows more detailed photos of M-16 and M4 Variants.

nomuse posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 8:13 PM

I can't even swear the 30 was ever issued to troops in Vietnam. I half-recall something about a previous model with a weaker spring being tried. Heck, we had the 20's all through BASIC even in '83. And I don't recall getting ammo pouches that would hold the "bannanas" until fairly late in the game. But I still think that's an "A3", a late-model '16. Or one of those civilianized things. Look at that windage knob on the rear site. The ones I used you had to adjust with a nail and a lot of patience. Remember those? But not to get hung up on details. Most non-vets wouldn't notice or care. Heck, I was a '60 man myself. Vastly preferable. (Plus you get three other guys to carry your ammo for you).

Veritas777 posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 11:22 PM

Got to fire an M-60 only once. Great fun! While my MOS was on "automatic" orders to 'Nam- 93H (Air Traffic Control-Tower), I was not destined for combat, at least in any direct way. My main thing on free time was flying in Hueys, of which there were tons around everywhere. What I really wanted was a career in the FAA as a Tower Controller, but when I got out I used my GI Bill to finish college and get a Private Pilot's License. Later getting into the publishing business, I got Guest Invites to Army events and more chopper rides- And then Navy VIP events and spent a few days on the USS Carl Vinson- carrier landing, F-14, F-18 operations (but no jet rides!) Have a lot of respect for the Navy and their carrier ops.