Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: New D/S Test Render In Gallery

Byrdie opened this issue on Sep 16, 2004 ยท 13 posts

Byrdie posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 3:11 PM

Just thought I'd let you folks who were asking about the new Daz Studio build know that I've a test render with full production notes up in the gallery now. http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=765243&Start=1&Sectionid=5&filter_genre_id=0&WhatsNew=Yes Commentary much appreciated, so don't be shy. cheers!

JenX posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 3:15 PM

Just a quick question about that render. The lighting in it...was it lighting from the background image, or is it lighting in the program. I'm having a hard time with my lighting, and if it's better with the new build, then it's worth it, imho.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Byrdie posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 3:29 PM

Lighting is the D/S default. It does seem to work better with a background image, though. I'll see if I can't round up one without that for comparison. I must say, this new build shows definite possibilities. I'm very hopeful the full release version will be on a par with P4 or Pro Pack, if not Poser 5.

casey_42 posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 12:52 AM

Very nice pic, but the default lighting does leae a lot to be desired, seems you are having a lot better luck rendering than some I have read about, rendering seems tobe a problem area with this build.

Byrdie posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 9:02 AM

True, but they're working on it. Am just about to post the next test, a Daz/Poser comparison I did last night. Again, there is no postworking to the images and all are fully annotated. Let me know what you think.

Cris_Palomino posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 12:33 PM

Default lighting is not meant to be anything but an adequate overall lighting of the figures in a scene. IMO, the Studio default is nicer than the odd beigy default lighting in Poser.

When you use default lighting on a figure such as this and then include a very sunlit background, it will make the figure flat and dark in comparison.

You do not mention what your render settings are. Are they set to Open GL render or 3Delight or something between. What render options do you have set?

I do not quite understand why you can't render higher than 800x600. I have successfully rendered 4000x4000 without a problem for a while? What version of Studio are you using? (By the way, if your image is large enough, the 72 dpi is rather irrelevant.)

Cris

Message edited on: 09/17/2004 12:33

Byrdie posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 1:25 PM

Have figured out the rendering bigger sizes bit but still only get 72 dpi. That's not too relevant for monitor display but printing's a whole 'nother matter. As to the background, I've decided to work with no background at all for the next couple of tests, to help me judge the lighting better. I used open GL for one render, turned it off for the second. So I figure that must be the in-between you're talking about; I haven't tried 3Delight yet. Also, next time I'll try to include a screen shot of my settings. D/S version is 0.9.6.O release, the newest available to non-PC club members.

Cris_Palomino posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 1:43 PM

Actually, as I said, as long as it is large enough. A 3000-4000 render will give you a fairly good quality image to print at....anywhere from 8 inches to 16 inches depending on the type of printer, inks and paper. I've done printing for years. If you mean you are clicking open GL in the settings, that is not the same as using the Speed/Quality slider. Slid all the way to the left is Open GL rendering. Slid all the way to the right is 3Delight. I don't use anything between. Open GL rendering will not do any raytracing.

Byrdie posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 2:25 PM

Ah, been sliding to all the way to my right, then. Will try it the other way. Meanwhile, I've actually gotten it to apply skin textures correctly to Mike. I'd been given to understand D/S can't read MAT pose files, but it worked for me. Or am I confusing those with P5 materials?

Cris_Palomino posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 2:38 PM

It will read MAT files. If it involves materials for P5, there is a difference in the way the two programs handle shaders, so they are not interchangeable. Although there are ways to simulate similar shader types...it's a matter of settings in most cases. Remember that for the best "quality" render, sliding all the way to the right is best. If you need a good, fast render, then sliding all the way to the left to "speed" is the one you want to try. Cris

Byrdie posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 3:41 PM

Thought it might be something like that. I pick quality over speed every time, still skin texture looks way different than in Poser, even if it's not a P5 render. Will post the results of current test later so you can see what I mean. And I'll have a screenshot of the render settings I used, too. That oughta help sort it out properly.

Cris_Palomino posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 4:41 PM

Attached Link: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=6106&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Byrdie, I forget that there are a few things to tweak because of the lighting models (in the advanced tab of the Surfaces Tab). If you take a look at some of these threads, you'll get a better idea of why you're encountering some of what you are and what you may be able to do to change things for a better render. http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=6060 http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=6518&highlight=first+render

Byrdie posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 4:51 PM

Thanks, off to check it out now.