Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Hair Conversion Tutorial?

Svigor opened this issue on Sep 29, 2004 ยท 5 posts

Svigor posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 5:16 PM

This is a repost, I searched back about six pages and I couldn't find my prior post. Does anyone know of a tutorial on how to create a morph to fit hair to a new figure?

EnglishBob posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 6:52 AM

Unless you're fitting to a radically different figure (like putting normal person's hair on a toon figure, perhaps) you probably won't even need a morph. Scaling and translation usually does the job for prop type hair. If the figure you're fitting to has a funny shaped head :) then the magnets should do the trick. Is there a particular conversion you have in mind?

Svigor posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 2:13 PM

I'm thinking of hair where "close" doesn't cut it, like Cool Coils. I was trying to fit the CC to V PT and no amount of tweaking would make it fit. I'd also like to convert Kozaburo's hair to M Girls and Mike. Btw, are there any buzzcuts available for Vic? Think Susan Powter here, if you remember her from her brief fame some years back. I keep reading that magnets are what I want to use, but I don't know magnets at all. I tried Traveller's mag tut but right off the bat I got very different results (the transforms he gave resulted in magnets way off from what he showed in his pics) and gave up after a short bit. I want to try geep's mag tut before trying to make Traveller's tut work. In a nutshell, how would mags work here? Is it as simple as creating a magnet from the target object (destination head) and then applying it to the hair I intend to convert?

EnglishBob posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 2:52 PM

I have a magnet tutorial as well. ;)

You can't create a magnet from something, unfortunately; if you could, this sort of thing would be a whole lot simpler.

I should expand on what I said earlier. Hair from the hair library should be straightforward - but conforming hair, like some of Koz's that lives in the Figures library is a different matter because you have also to adjust the joint centres.

As an example of what's possible, have a look at my Flo Hair. This conforming hair comes with a set of poses which will fit it to Posette; Vicki 1, 2 and 3; The PreTeen Girl; and Maya Doll. These operate by setting scaling, a morph target (made with magnets) which adjusts scalp shape, and adjusting the joint parameters. If you have conforming hair to refit, you can try the Flo fitting poses - they should get you reasonably close, maybe with a bit of magnetization to finish off with.

Svigor posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 5:38 PM

Good stuff, I DLed the tut and I'm downloading the very nice-looking hair. How'd I miss that freebie? Thanks.