Forum: The MarketPlace Wishing Well

Subject: Libraries, bookstores, shelving and all that jazz

dialyn opened this issue on Oct 13, 2004 ยท 7 posts

dialyn posted Wed, 13 October 2004 at 11:59 AM

Don't get me wrong, I love the gothic looking libraries, and old fashion bookstores, but I have need of a more modern looking building. Libraries and bookstores tend to have center shelving, not wood; wall hung shelving; desks with computers on them and counters. I don't expect anyone would model bar scanners just for me, but I was wondering if anyone knew where a more up to date version could be found. Thanks!

cooler posted Wed, 13 October 2004 at 9:58 PM

dialyn, IIRC dodger was working on a more modern bookstore & had some preview pics up at Poser Pros.

dialyn posted Wed, 13 October 2004 at 10:04 PM

Alas, that won't do me any good since I don't have a membership there. :( I have seen the small bookstore that he had up on the Product Forum, and it is charming, but I'm thinking more of a large modern store (not necessarily the whole store, but the inside vision). I guess what I need in order to fake the rest is the bookstacks, and the waist high counters that tend to be rounded surfaces (not usually desklike). Thank you for the lead, though. I appreciate it very much.

nomuse posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 2:28 PM

From what I remember of, say, Barnes Ignoble and the other big chain bookstores, outside of the computers, light fixtures, and the books themselves they are pretty much a collection of primitives. Seems like you could knock together generic glass-box room pretty quickly, add some kiosks, and for a modern bookstore just slap up a bunch of shelves (and, if my memory serves at all, the low slanted shelve by the window, the low tables for the bargain or sale books, and maybe a few of those tall narrow carosels for paperbacks or CD's)

dialyn posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 2:40 PM

Well, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but knocking together stuff has resulted in not much of anything for me (though, heaven only knows, trueSpace and Wings and Poser have suffered through my awkward attempts). What is easy for thee is a nightmare for me. I will continue my search. Thank you for the ideas, however.

nomuse posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 3:18 PM

Hrm. If you could find a scaled floor plan anywhere that could be a great help. Given accurate reference a number of us could come up with a simple bookstore in an evening or two (even me, but I can' t make promises due to; A) I'm working all weekend, and; B) I'd start and a better modeller would beat me to it!).

ratracer posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 4:29 AM

I may have something that fits your purpose (taken from a to-be-released product). I can give you this particular prop - free, of course. It's pretty simple, but that is what modern design is, I guess. It doesn't hurt to try, right? I'll upload it today or tomorrow and let you know...