Forum: Bryce

Subject: Lens Flares in Bryce 4

thenodemaster opened this issue on Dec 02, 2000 ยท 8 posts

thenodemaster posted Sat, 02 December 2000 at 3:00 PM

I am trying to create lens flares in Bryce but am having trouble doing it with lights. I can do it with a 2D plane with a texture and transparancy map, but there has got to be a way to do it with lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

binder posted Sat, 02 December 2000 at 5:04 PM

This question has came up before....even I wondered if it could be done...(cause I just love lens flares).....but I don't think that bryce can accomplish this....sorry about that man....I guess you'll just have to take it to photoshop and add it there.....unless you're talking about animating....in that case you're really stuck.....but who knows....maybe someone figured out a way to do this somehow.....but as far as I know, you can't.....PeaCe....

How dare you speak to my sensei in that way!!  prepare yourself!

myGallery 

Maxxtro posted Sat, 02 December 2000 at 6:12 PM

Use photoshop for the lensflares as post-production. there's also a photoshop-plugin from axion, to create all kinds of different lensflares... If you want to animate a lensflare (like binder asked) it's available in commotion and in after effects... Lensflares in Bryce are NOT available yet.... Maybe a good idea for Bryce5? Maxxtro

binder posted Sat, 02 December 2000 at 7:35 PM

I think it would be wonderful to intergrate lens flare in the new version of bryce....lets hope that the people that make this product thinks the same way we do....and while they're at it....why not produce a better modeling system....bryce will become more flexible if these changes were made.....just a thought....peaCe...

How dare you speak to my sensei in that way!!  prepare yourself!

myGallery 

KenS posted Sat, 02 December 2000 at 8:44 PM

In Photoshop or any image editing program that allows you to create lens flares, create a 512x512 image and fill it in black. Create a lens flare in the center of the image, and then save and exit the program. In Bryce, make a 2D verticle face(the flat square under DaVinci's arm on the Create pallete), then click the "M" to enter the Materials Lab. Import the lens flare into the Picture Editor in all 3 channels. To do this, select the first dot next to Ambient on the COLOR Palette, and set the component to picture(Click the "P"). Then in the VALUE Palette, select the first dots on Diffusion and Ambience and set the slider to 100, and in the OPTICS section at the bottom, select the first dot next to Transperancy and set it's slider to 100. Lastly, select the small arrow at the top of the screen to open the Shading Mode menu, Select Normal, and deselect all other options. Click the exit checkmark at the bottom of the screen and your done.

dcrich posted Sun, 03 December 2000 at 12:24 AM

The statement "lens flares can not be produced in Bryce" is not accurate...and it does not require the imagemap and mask routine.. however achieving it is not simple, nor is it as convincing as the effect you can get by just taking it into a third party image program... and doing this also increases render time... but if you are dead set to do it in Bryce, here is how to do it: 1> create a standard tube and apply a shiny metal material to it 2> create a back for the tube (this can either be done by just making the inner cylinder shorter than the outer, or by creating a new cylinder and putting it at the back) 3> create a "lens" by creating a large positive sphere, and one smaller negative sphere and one negative cube. Align the objects so that the small sphere cuts out the inside of the larger sphere and then put the cube in such a way that it will cut off the majority of the larger sphere...when you group these, you will have a "lens" like object. Apply a glass material and put this object in the front of the tube you made earlier. 4> Put the dolly camera inside this object that you created...you will now need to put a spotlight behind the camera (within the tube) and one in front of the camera (where ever the light is coming from) this will mimick a lens flare..and it does work, however since you are rendering from within an object and the camera is rendering its pov thru a glass lens, the render time will greatly increase depending on the scene you create. I suggest you play with this method if you are dead set in doing it straight out of bryce... good luck BT http://www.brycetech.com/

raven posted Mon, 04 December 2000 at 11:45 AM

There is a lens flare kit here http://www.renderus.com/bryce/objects/lensflare/index.shtml that may help.

Lon Chaney posted Mon, 04 December 2000 at 10:12 PM

Easy way.put lens flare on transparent background in photoshop.Put on 2d surface> blend transparency