Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Anybody look at the rights going to 12 months contest?

gagnonrich opened this issue on Oct 29, 2004 ยท 23 posts

gagnonrich posted Fri, 29 October 2004 at 11:26 PM

I almost considered entering some of my stuff into the DAZ/Deviant Art contest at the last minute till I looked at the rights being given up by entering. "By entering a submission, contestant grants DAZ Productions, Inc. and its designees [NVIDIA, Inc. and deviantART, Inc.] a worldwide, non-exclusive, sublicenseable (through multiple tiers), assignable, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable right to use, reproduce, distribute (through multiple tiers), create derivative works of, publicly perform, publicly display, digitally perform, make, have made, sell, offer for sale and import such entry in any media now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without compensation to the provider of the entry or any other party." I know my artwork isn't worth much, but it's not worth nothing. Those conditions wouldn't be quite so bad if they only applied to winning entries that are receiving some level of compensation. I'm not willing to let a company gain rights to the images forever to be used and sold in any fashion they want for nothing just because I entered the contest. The normal rights, at DeviantArt, for submitting images, is for the artist to retain copyright even though the site can use the images in many ways till they're removed from the site and they receive a notice in writing (not sure why they need the notice or what they consider a binding notice in writing). I don't know if the contest agreement supercedes the other agreement, but stating that they have the right to SELL the work indicates that they are assuming a greater level of rights than I want to give them.

My visual indexes of Poser content are at http://www.sharecg.com/pf/rgagnon