Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Freebie creation questions part 2

unzipped opened this issue on Nov 01, 2004 ยท 5 posts

unzipped posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 8:51 PM

So I got some questions answered thanks to Little Dragon and others, but I have a couple more. Most importantly, I realize there are some restrictions on distributing morphs, injection poses etc. Here's my situation: I used DAZ & third party morphs to shape the V3 head, grouped the head, created a new prop, exported the prop as a morph target, used Poser's Little Helper to create the deltas & the injection pose files, dial visibility files, etc. So where do I stand? I'd much rather just distribute the inj pose files if I can - but can/do I also have to distribute all the other files as well? Secondly, I guess I need a host for the freebie if I get it together. I don't really want to set up another yahoo/geocities site just for this - anyone got any quick and dirty hosting solutions? Thanks again for the help, Unzipped

SnowFox102 posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 11:43 PM

Well I haven't worked with injection poses, but IIRC you can distribute morphs as long as it was made only from the base mesh, without any other morphs affecting your starting point. Distributing a morph built off another morph is copyright infringment. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking about, so if not just ignore me ;)

TrekkieGrrrl posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 3:29 AM

If I understand you correctly, you made the base morph with the morph paks from Daz and then exported it as an obj? In that case you can't give it away, UNLESS you encode it to the face morph pak.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

KarenJ posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 4:34 AM

Attached Link: http://www.daz3d.com/support/index.php?id=3

Yeah, you need to distribute it as an INJ pose that references all the DAZ morphs separately, rather than one INJ called "My Morph". The attached link has more info :)

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

unzipped posted Wed, 03 November 2004 at 12:52 PM

So it will work, b ut it sounds like more trouble than its worth. I didn't save the dial settings for these and they took some work, so I'm not about to attempt going back and recreating them by dial fiddling again. Looking in the inj pose file I see no references to any DAZ material (or "data" as they put it), just actor names, normal character adjustors (translate, etc.) and a list of vertex adjustments. I'll look again, but I see no way of someone being able to tell that I created my morph from derivative products - thereby having no way of knowing or proving that I did so. This makes me think that I could release these things as freebies and no one would be the wiser. I'm pretty much against copyright, especially as it currently stands in the U.S. - it's more of a burden on humanity than a benefit at this point, but to date I have avoided doing anything that runs afoul of current laws in that regard. I'm severly tempted to do so in this case, especially since I think the DAZ "terms" are not legally enforcable - it would be like Sears saying you cant freely give away any furniture you made by using one of their hammers, or a lumber yard saying the same because you used some of their wood. But if people are against it, I'll respect that and not release these things - the community suffers I guess (well not that much, these aren't the end all and be all of course). Unzipped