Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: PayPal situation not so grim...

Jack D. Kammerer opened this issue on Nov 20, 2004 ยท 55 posts

Jack D. Kammerer posted Sat, 20 November 2004 at 2:02 PM

I have been trying hard to keep my nose out of this whole situation and just be another observer watching as this new situation unfolds, but I finally want to say something about it... As much as many would like to pin this entire online store cleansing situation onto PayPal, I think it involves a lot more than just that and please allow me to explain In the early days of Internet Marketing formed, much of the online transactions taking place on the Internet revolved around adult content. As such, many online Merchant Account Services saw an increase of Credit Card Fraud and Charge Backs. MasterCard and, in particular, Visa needed to reform their Merchant Account regulations in order to stem the tide of loss. So they targeted the business that produced the largest amount of income loss from Charge Backs and Fraud, which was the adult industry, by imposing heavy fines on the companies that catered to that business and provided to them Internet Merchant Gateways for credit card processing and lobbied higher percentages per transaction on the owners that run adult websites. As such, there is fewer and fewer Internet Merchant Account companies and banks willing to provide services to adult companies. With that being said, PayPal (like any other Internet Merchant Processor) needs to make sure that they conform to the terms dictated to them by Visa and MasterCard to continue to process orders and act as an Online Bank hence the strict terms that they enforce upon companies like Renderosity who use and rely on their services to cater to their customers. As such, and keeping all of that in mind, I dont think PayPal is the sole reason for Tim Choate and Renderosity changing the Marketplace on this website. Taking a look through the Online Store here for the past few years, Ive noticed a marked increase of adult products that were for sale here products that defied and were hypercritical to this websites TOS and I am amazed that Renderosity was able to escape the notice of their Merchant Account provider and PayPal for as long as they have. It is likely that a member of Renderosity or a multitude of Renderosity members decided to complain to PayPal about the sort of products being sold here, putting Tim Choate and Renderosity under PayPals microscope of puritan business practices and, as such, raised some eyebrows. Furthermore, if PayPal felt that the products being sold here were adult in nature and dropped their Merchant Support, than Renderositys other Internet Merchant Account service wouldnt be too far behind, leaving Renderosity unable to continue sell products from their Online Store without finding another Merchant Account Service Provider and, as such, suffer larger penalties, fines and percentages in their day to day business. In short, dont blame Tim Choate, PayPal or the credit card companies, but blame the individuals who abused and continue to abuse the system that makes it necessary for these rules to put into action. Nor is this the end of the world, or the end of Renderosity lets not forget that Renderotica was created to be the sister site of Renderosity to draw a solid line between and provide a place for artists and members who wanted to display erotic and adult artwork without offending the sensibilities of those who preferred a more family oriented place to be a member of. While this situation may be unfortunate for some and fortunate for others, this situation might actually provide to both owners of Renderosity and Renderotica (Tim Choate and Diane Griffith) an opportunity to maybe work together and stabilize the Community and, maybe, figure out a way in which to work together to provide further benefits to the Communities that they serve without the animosity that I helped to create between the two sites. Just my thoughts on this Jack