Forum: Carrara

Subject: How to prevent RDS from trashing UV coordinates? Multiple texture maps?

alduin opened this issue on Dec 12, 2000 ยท 6 posts

alduin posted Tue, 12 December 2000 at 9:33 PM

Hello everyone. Been fighting this for months and I give up. First, background on what I've done. To get multiple maps to a single object, I've named the polygons (for my rifle model, I called polys 'barrel' 'body' and 'scope') in the mesh editor. I then exported to obj format and opened it in UVMapper. UVMapper sees it as one model with three materials. Fine. Problem is that it seems I could have only one texture map! I import the obj model back to RDS and find it to be broken into three objects called 'barrel' 'body' and 'scope'. I scratch my head. I export each object separately and use UVMapper on each for some good UV coordinates. I make my barrel, body, and scope maps in a paint program. I import all three objects into RDS and weld them together, and export the final version to 3DS format. I should have a single object model with three maps, and I do! Now, here's my problem: RDS trashed the UV coordinates. When you import a model into RDS, it destroys existing UV coordinates and replaces them with unusable gibberish. This is why I had to use UV Mapper in the first place. RDS can't make decent UV coordinates to save its life. How do I force RDS to leave my UVs alone (or make decent UVs in the first place)? Thanks all!