Forum: Carrara

Subject: Problems importing models into OSX Carrara Pro?

RocketArt opened this issue on Dec 12, 2004 ยท 11 posts

RocketArt posted Sun, 12 December 2004 at 11:23 PM

Is anyone else having any problems importing models into C4 Pro in OSX? I downloaded the C4 Pro upgrade and was pretty happy with it until I started trying to import models in other formats -- LWO, 3DS, Poser. No success at all and lots of crashing go on, which is unusual with OSX. C3 can import the models fine (except of course for LWO), so I don't think there's anything wrong with them.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions...

ShawnDriscoll posted Mon, 13 December 2004 at 1:27 AM

I've been told that if you save your scene in CAR format (the default) after importing objects from other formats, and then closing Carrara and re-opening it and reloading the scene should prevent crashing.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

RocketArt posted Mon, 13 December 2004 at 2:09 AM

Thanks, Shonner, for your reply. I did try that with C4 Pro; it didn't work for me, but since I am able to successfully import objects into C3, I've tried saving them in C3 format hoping I could then import them successfully into C4 Pro (using File>Import...); that hasn't worked so far either. On the other hand, I have had success opening and working with OBJ files I exported from Poser in C4 Pro using File>Open...

Hoofdcommissaris posted Mon, 13 December 2004 at 3:24 AM

I have no problems with importing. Haven't tried LWO yet, but the others work fine. Especially Poser. Maybe you are missing information or maybe the import filters did not install correctly. You can look 'inside' Carrara with the contextual menu option 'Show Package Contents' and see if there are 'blank' files in the extensions, or files that are empty. Have you tried reinstalling?

MarkBremmer posted Mon, 13 December 2004 at 6:35 AM

Imports have been running smoothly here. Just to be safe, try resetting your preferences from the pull down "file" menu. If that or the reinstall doesn't do it, I know Eovia would be very interested in getting the info from you so they can address it.

Tunesy posted Mon, 13 December 2004 at 7:51 AM

You are talking about C4 and not Amapi 7, right? I only ask because if you change the two names around then those results would be expected. From Brycetechs (excellent) Amapi 7 tut: "*Amapi 7 does not support as many export formats as earlier versions did. It no longer directly exports to "Lightwave" or "Max". With the intention of the program to be a "modeler" whose models are rendered elsewhere, the loss of these direct export formats may leave a few people confused. However, It does support obj and 3ds, and most rendering programs do support these format."

RocketArt posted Tue, 14 December 2004 at 2:26 AM

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I think I've narrowed the problem down to some conflict C4 Pro has apparently developed with my OpenGL renderer. I'm working on a dual 1 GB G4 with a GeForce4 Ti 4600 AGP card. As long as I keep to the native Eovia interactive renderer and don't select OpenGL in the preferences, everything seems to import fine and behave while I'm working with it. Odd thing is, this problem only just surfaced in the last week or so. Am I remembering correctly that C3 had a problem with the OpenGL renderer for a while when it first came out? Tunesy: Yes, I'm just working with C4 Pro at the moment. MarkBremmer: I have made the folks at Eovia aware of these problems.

Pinklet posted Wed, 15 December 2004 at 4:16 PM

Apple just released 10.3.7 that supposedly has new and improved OpenGL drivers for the video cards supported. This might fix your problem if it's not Carrara causing it.

RocketArt posted Wed, 15 December 2004 at 9:24 PM

Thank you, Pinklet. I will check that out.

bluetone posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 5:10 AM

Thanx for the info Pinklet! Downloading the update now...

ShawnDriscoll posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 5:26 PM

I'll let my Dad know. He's a Mac user. My phone will probably ring with him asking me to download it for him since he's on dial-up.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG