Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Words of wisdom to a newbie.....

zahratustra opened this issue on Dec 15, 2004 ยท 10 posts

zahratustra posted Wed, 15 December 2004 at 8:08 PM

In Poser 5 my figures begin to do (more or less) what I want them to do and it might be a time that I begun to think about backgrounds.... Trouble is that while simple "painting" type backgrounds are not much of a problem there is astonishing variety of "set" type backgrounds: Cyclorama, Microcosm, Transpond, 3D-Worlds.... Would any of the more experienced users be kind enough to reveal which would be a background set of their particular choice and (briefly) why??? Your imput will be greatly appreciated.

SamTherapy posted Wed, 15 December 2004 at 8:16 PM

Difficult to answer unless you can tell us what kinds of images you want to render. I use anything and everything as necessary but as a rule I tend to use sets which consist of objects rather than flat backdrops. If I need something really simple I use Nerd's Backdrop Tool, which can be textured to give photographic backgrounds, weird effects or just plain colours. I have most of the DAZ Environments and a heck of a lot of textures for 'em but I don't tend to use them much. As I mentioned earlier, I tend to use scenes that are made up of "stuff" because I like the interaction between the scenery and the possibilities of interesting lighting effects. They can be heavy on resources but worth persevering with. I will often combine a "real" scene prop with a background image for added depth.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

superBadGirl posted Wed, 15 December 2004 at 8:24 PM

Can you give a link to Nerds Backdrop Tool?

pakled posted Wed, 15 December 2004 at 8:25 PM

Dr. Geep (dang, this guy turns up more than a process server..;) has a tutorial on backgrounds..made my renders better..;) Do a search in the forum, should come up..(one trick is to match the lighting in the background with the lighting in Poser..direction, color, etc..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

SamTherapy posted Wed, 15 December 2004 at 8:38 PM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=2480

"Can you give a link to Nerds Backdrop Tool?" Sure thing.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Bobbie_Boucher posted Wed, 15 December 2004 at 8:54 PM

I prefer to buy "real life" scenes or sets. Renderosity seems to have more of what I want than other online stores. Recent purchases are the Talk Show Set, Bachelor's Pad (Apartment?), Big Office. I haven't used all the stuff I've bought, even in the past 2 years. I get caught up in other things. (Years ago I just loved the Nerd Backdrop tool, but people kept complaining my renders were pixelated, or just plain bad. Maybe it was just my own stupidity, but I stopped useing the backdrop tool.) I bought all the DAZ Millennium Environment stuff during one of their recent Platinum Club open enrollment periods, but haven't used any of it yet.

Message edited on: 12/15/2004 20:55

zahratustra posted Wed, 15 December 2004 at 9:17 PM

I am exactly after what you are doing Sam, a mixture of flat backgrounds to create an illusion of depth with objects (props) in the middle and foreground. Let's say I want something like a fantasy castle "painted" background with the gate, trees and shrubs props or a forest where the majotiry of it is a "painted" background with grass and few trees props in middleground and foreground

Message edited on: 12/15/2004 21:19

geep posted Wed, 15 December 2004 at 10:13 PM

Hi zahratustra, Process server here ... ;=] ...... (LOL @ pakled) [ HERE](http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=1839126) is a tut you might enjoy. cheers, dr geep ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

zahratustra posted Thu, 16 December 2004 at 10:46 AM

lol, I was just unsucessfully looking for this tut yesterday! Thanks Geep, appreciated!

geep posted Thu, 16 December 2004 at 12:56 PM

;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019